Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Casement window repair

Posted by Austin78 (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 11:20

I have an old casement window (probably from the 80s - manufacturer unknown) and it will not open. The crank just spins - in both directions - but does not move the window. The crank case is sealed, so there doesn't seem to be a way to get into the mechanism. Any thoughts on how to repair this??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Casement window repair

Here is a picture.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Austin, can you remove the handle? It might be stripped. If so, you just need a replacement handle. I had windows like that & the mechanism is mounted from below. If it's not a stripped handle, removal is the only option, I believe.
Don

o

A lumberyard should be able to order you replacement operators if that is what is required, the are fairly easy to remove with the window open.

o

That hardware was probably made by TRUTH, if that helps. You will need to get the window open somehow to be able to service the hardware.
It's probably painted shut or brick-bound. pry gently to make it swing open while someone inside turns the spinning handle and maybe it will bite.

Good luck

o

I live near Cinti OH. I buy all of my window parts (esp my casement windows) from Pickens Window Service in Cinti. They have thous of window parts. Our windows are also about 25 yrs old. Ours are Malta and they look a lot like yours. You could probably order the parts that you need from Pickens. Here is the URL www.pickenswindowparts.com. They have always been able to help me with the windows that we have ie screens, cranks, etc. Very nice and easy to deal with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here