Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remove door handle to paint - how to?

Posted by qmarker (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 11:13

I have a new condo that has an exterior storage closet. The door handle is awfully faded from the sun & I want to spray paint it back to black to match the entry door just a few feet away.

My problem is I've never removed a door 'handle'. I always had round knobs in the house I just sold. This is the long handle type and it locks with a key.

I've never removed or dealt with anything but a round knob without a lock and also never took one out or installed one with a lock.

Am I thinking over my head or can someone tell me this is not brain surgery and I can do it. I am not afraid to tackle much of anything but I don't want to mess up an outside lock and have to call a locksmith.

I see the two phillips head screws one on top and bottom of the long handle which no doubt remove it but will I mess up the locking mechanism in any way or is putting it back together a no-brainer?

Thank you for your advice.
Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remove door handle to paint - how to?

Many are held on with a pair of set screws, some with a single screw, others with all sorts of odd ball latching mechanisms.

Try removing the screws.

If they are hex recess (AKA 'Allen' head screws) make sure you use a quality correctly sized wrench.

It should barely fit in the recess.

Bondhus and Allen are both good brands.

'No names' are rarely sized or hardened correctly.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Mon, May 13, 13 at 12:27

o
RE: Remove door handle to paint - how to?

Without a picture, I'm not sure what you mean by 'long handle', but taking it off by removing the two screws is the way to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here