Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljbrandt

Fixing IKEA headboard (pics)

ljbrandt
12 years ago

I also posted this in the furniture forum, but I think it's more suited for this one.

Several weeks ago, we had a halogen desk lamp accidentally lay on top of an IKEA bed (headboard) and burnt a spot about the size of two quarters. The bed is less than 2-years old and I was hoping for some suggestions to repair the spot. I thought about wood filler, but wanted to know if there were any better options before I gave it a go. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

You can't repair the veneer, of course. You could use a patching compound to flatten the area and then touch up with black, semi-gloss. However, that will only lessen the apparent damage, not hide it.

If it were me, I'd consider cutting a strip of oak the same dimensions as the top and about 1/2" thick, giving it a bevel edge, finishing it with a black, semi gloss spray paint, and gluing it over the damage. That way it would look like an intentional design detail, rather than a patch. If you don't have the capability to do that, I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions that are easier.

In any case, be glad you didn't have a fire.

• randy427
    12 years ago

I'd make a shelf, about 3 to 4" wide and as long as the headboard is wide, and affix it to the top.
    If you don't want a shelf, you can get iron-on oak veneer edging at home depot, etal, to resurface the headboard top.

• ljbrandt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If I were to patch it, would you recommend a grain filler or wood filler (or something else)?

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

A grain filler is intended to fill the tiny pores of grain to smooth out a finish on an intact, solid wood surface, so that's not what you want since you've got deep damage that goes down to the particle board. Try a quality wood filler (not a wood putty) like Elmer's or Minwax brand. Use a filler that's water-based, not solvent-based, as it will be easier to smooth out and cleanup where the patch meets the undamaged edges before the material sets up. (Also, a solvent-based filler could damage the existing finish.) Use a couple inch wide joint compound knife to spread it evenly; it may take more than one application because there is sometimes a little shrinkage. In order to get it perfectly flush with the adjacent surface, you may need to carefully sand it with a small sanding block. Good luck.

• ljbrandt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everybody for the helpful information! Is DAP 'plastic wood' water or solvent based? Also, any suggestions on a grit# for the sandpaper?

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Any 'plastic wood' product is going to look pretty bad, even after you try and paint it.

Using some oak veneer and cutting it in as a 'Dutchman' then staining and finishing to match can make an almost invisible repair if done carefully.

Any filler material is NOT going to have the correct texture and make (at best) a smooth spot that will be readily apparent.

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

ljbrandt- DAP Plastic Wood is solvent based. If you see solvents listed on the label, it's solvent based. A fine sandpaper -- 180 to 240 grit or so -- should work.

brickeyee- I agree that there are better ways to do this...but I'm getting the sense that the OP doesn't have the tools and skills to do that.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"I agree that there are better ways to do this...but I'm getting the sense that the OP doesn't have the tools and skills to do that."

They are most likely going to make it look worse, and not be very happy with the result.

• ljbrandt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

brickeyee - any suggestion on where I can find suitable oak veneer? Would a hobby shop possibly have the veneer and stain (and finisher?). I'm going to have to google dutchman cut. Thank you!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"any suggestion on where I can find suitable oak veneer?"

Constantine's should have everything you would need,

Tools, stain (dye) and finishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Constantine's

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

ljbrandt-
    So, tell us how this all turns out when you are done. Good luck.

• ljbrandt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

will do, ill post pics after im done

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Do a search on 'Dutchman' and there are multiple sites with instructions.

It is not that hard, but getting a tight fit can take a few tries.