Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

fixing concrete patio that drains TOWARDS house

hairmetal4ever
9 years ago

We have a 12' X 15' concrete patio area that has some major issues.

We want to redo it with pavers or something similar just to make it look better, but have another issue to fix first.

The concrete pad drops about 3" from the far edge to where it touches the house - any time we have even a minor rainstorm, water just sits there until it evaporates or slowly seeps into the soil on either side of the concrete. A couple years ago, we had a concrete step constructed against our sliding patio door (where the concrete pad touches) that keeps the water from actually being right against the house, but it's still an annoyance. The reason we had the step done was that due to the settling of the concrete over the years, it was nearly a 15" drop when we would step out of the patio door.

Questions on how to deal with this:

1. Some types of pavers can be installed over concrete. I presume first the concrete must be flat, correct?

2. Do I have to tear out all this concrete? Or can I make a mold with some 2 X 4's and pour some leveling compound or regular cement on top of the existing concrete? Then install pavers over top of that.

3. Would it behoove me to actually make it slightly HIGHER by the house to run water away? If so how do I accomplish that?

Any other ideas?

Comments (6)