Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dinosaur1_gw

White spots all over vinyl siding

dinosaur1
12 years ago

https://picasaweb.google.com/pewaukeedp/VinylSiding?authkey=Gv1sRgCKKuvOzXwNC0AQ

Can anyone assist me with what might be causing these white spots all over my vinyl siding?

Home was built in 1997

Builder still around

Original siding contractor our of business

Homes around me have no siding issues

Original contractors son point to to oxidation and a reflection of light off of windows. Behind the white spots are the nail heads. Is it possible there is no tyvek underneath?

Mastic.com is the manufacturer. Their warranty covers defects 100% to the original owner. 10% for the 2nd homeowner. Were the 2nd homeowner unfortunately.

Comments (8)

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

looks like the nailing pattern for plywood
    not tyvek.
    even with tyvek you have exposed nail heads.

it is possible that tyvek isn't installed
    impossible to know without taking a piece of
    vinyl off to see.

what is your location?

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Depending on the pH of the rain it could just be zinc from the nails holding the siding itself.

Does it wash off?

You could even try some white vinegar and see if that takes it off.

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

the 3 things I thought of were
    frost on nail heads if the condition happens in cold weather.

oxidation of nails

acid rain

post back OP and let us know where you are located.
    and if you are near salt water...

• dinosaur1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We live in Milwaukee, WI. Is it worth doing an insurance claim?
    They can't get rubbed off or washed off.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

It does not appear to be a sudden problem, but a long term maintenance issue.

Not what insurance was designed to cover, but you might get luck and your rates not go up excessively (or your house get branded 'not insurable').

Did you try some distilled vinegar?

It dissolves zinc leaching nicely.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

You've been asking this question for years. I thought the siding contractor's son was going to help you make a claim for defective siding.

Vinyl/PVC is not particularly strong or durable; it's main claim to fame is that it is inexpensive. If the plasticizers used are not of high quality, or the manufacturing process went awry, the PVC can become prematurely brittle and perhaps that process is affected by the support brackets or nails. Thin PVC can be dissolved by certain solvents used in sealants and self adhering waterproofing membranes. Also that strange texturing that makes PVC siding look like poorly surfaced wood clapboards is a good surface for fungus/mildew to grow.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

I misread the date of another post on another forum so perhaps this problem is a new one.

I found your lack of patience and courtesy with people offering free advice to be troubling.

• dinosaur1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I haven't been asking this question for years. Lol. Wow

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH