Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diy_guy_419

sidewalk leveling

DIY_GUY_419
11 years ago

Hi guys,

the concrete entry way to my house has sunken an inch or so. My kids keep tripping on it.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I called a concrete leveling guy who came out and took a look. He said 7 slabs had to be raised/leveled in order to fix that area. He wants $280 .....

Thats way more than I want to spend on this.

Anyone have a better/cheaper solution??

Comments (7)

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"He said 7 slabs had to be raised/leveled in order to fix that area. He wants $280 ..... "

What method?

Mud jacking?

Lift and pack?

• DIY_GUY_419
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mud jacking

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

That sounds like a reasonable price then for just about anywhere.

Seven slabs is only $40 each.

It takes more the one person and equipment.

• DIY_GUY_419
    Original Author
    11 years ago

brickeyee, I agree its a reasonable price for all 7 slabs. but I dont want to do all seven, I just want to fix that little area where it has sunken.

Can i buy some concrete and try to level it myself from the top? like put a layer over the sunken area till its level with the other slab?

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

Another alternative, and you might feel that it would be a less esthetically appealing one, would be to rent a grinder (you'll have to buy the blade) and grind it down, tapering back about 5".

• DIY_GUY_419
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought about grinding it down, will the color of the newly ground concrete eventually return to the natural color of the rest of the slabs?

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"I agree its a reasonable price for all 7 slabs. but I dont want to do all seven, I just want to fix that little area where it has sunken."

It is very unlikely that the concrete is actually seven separate pieces (slabs).

Unless you plan on cutting the sidewalk into separate pieces you have to everything (the whole piece_ at the same time.

I would bet he is using "slabs" loosely to mean lengths of the sidewalk between tooled in fracture lines.

"Can i buy some concrete and try to level it myself from the top? like put a layer over the sunken area till its level with the other slab?"

You can try, but it is not going to bond well, and you will be just as alarmed at the price of the epoxy concrete you would need to pull this off.

Concrete tapered out does not have along life, and if you get freezing weather may not even last a single winter.