Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Portable AC/Heater

Posted by Partsman41953 (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 9:49

Hello,

My central AC unit is out and until I can get it replaced I am looking for a portable AC/heater to use to cool my 500+ sq foot living room. I have looked online on a few different models but I am not sure which one to purchase. I have looked at the Delonghi, Soleus, and Edge Star but like I said not sure at this point which is the best one. This unit is going to be on a hardwood floor so I am looking at a unit that will not leak.

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Portable AC/Heater

Combination units are more expensive than separate units. portable units are more expensive than window units. None are guaranteed not to leak. You have to monitor the water produced.

You'd be better off putting that $500-$700 into repairing what you currently have.

o

I would begin by getting a 2nd opinion on your central. Far too many HVAC techs get a commission for selling new units so they are sometimes quick to condemn a unit rather than repair it.

o

I have had 4 people take a look at my 15 year old Carrier split system AC/heat pump unit and they all would not recommend putting any more money into the system as not only is the fan going but also the control box needs to be replaced as no power is going to the thermostats. I would rather not put any more money into that system and purchase a portable unit until I can replace the central air hopefully the first part of next year. I appreciate the suggestion though.

o

Don't buy a portable heat pump with one hose. Consider only those with two hoses, one for intake and one for exhaust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here