Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting opening in hot mop roof

Posted by john02139 (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 8:57

I would like recommendations on best way to cut an access opening in my roof about 2 foot x 4 foot. Original roofing and one replacement add to about 1 1/2 inches total dense black tarry/felty/papery stuff. This does not include underlying wood deck. I would like to use skill saw so that I can cut through roofing and wood deck separately. If I do, what would be the ideal blade to use. I realize it may not be of much use once I'm done. Are there other ways besides using skill saw. I made a small access opening from the bottom using a reciprocating saw - a miserable job. Thankfully the big opening will be from the top.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting opening in hot mop roof

If you don't want it to leak, call a professional as you sound over your head already!

o

This is demo saw land (Sawzall).

Make sure you have plenty of spare blades.

A roofer would be a much better choice since they will know how to curb the opening and prevent water from entering.

o

Most of the plunging and cutting can be done with a demolition saw. A recip saw may be needed for finishing the corners.
How are you bracing for the rafters being removed?

Here is a link that might be useful: Demolition Saw

o

Disaster waiting to happen. Call a professional if you don't want the roof to collapse or your house to leak.

o

The reason that you are receiving the variety of responses is that you have only asked, and elected to omit the why.
All of the end products do not have a standard methodology for weather protection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here