Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I seal brick to concrete block gap in my garage?

Posted by T454 (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 8:44

We bought a house that has a garage, house is vinyl sided with brick veneered concrete block foundation. They continued the veneer into the garage for a finished look I assume. The garage does not have a door, and we are having problems with miscellaneous insects and snakes getting into the air gap between the load bearing block and the veneer.

The block has galvanized metal termite shield on it with a somewhat jagged edge extending to the air gap area.

My wife is having a fit for me to seal the gap so the creatures will nest elsewhere. My question is can I mortar or caulk this gap up (1/4" to 3/4" gap) or does it need to be left open? We have a lot of termite activity on our property and have came across several mounds of termites and had to burn a lot of scrap materials left by the builders/previous homeowner that were infested, will I have termite problem if I seal up the air gap (since the shield does not extend across)? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I seal brick to concrete block gap in my garage?

Leave it open. It's a weep hole for any moisture that might get behind the brick. You can try screening it. Hardware cloth?

o
RE: Can I seal brick to concrete block gap in my garage?

You should check with your termite control company, if you have one, about closing that up even if you don't bridge the termite shield. I am having trouble visualizing it. You may want it open to check for termite activity depending on what kind of termites you have in your area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here