Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sal2014_gw

Chimney or no chimney

sal2014
9 years ago

Hi,
Couple of question, if you can answer me related to chimney to resale value of the house in Newton ,MA that would be appreciated.

Would you please tell me how important is the chimney or no chimney in the house when you sell the house in northeast?

We are remodeling our home, and cost is $8000 to build the red brick chimney and destroys the existing white brick one which is no good. My contractor also suggested to have a gas fire place. So, concern how does it effect the house resale value if It does not have a chimney. Please help. I need to make a decision very soon.

Thank you

Comments (6)

• jakethewonderdog
    9 years ago

sal2014,

That would depend a lot on the house. If you don't do it, what would happen to the chimney?

You would be better off asking a realtor in your area.

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

Why does the existing chimney have to be destroyed? It is usually possible to repair a brick chimney and would be far cheper than tearing down and building anew. I'd be a little suspicious of the tear down and rebuild proposal.

I agree a realtor could probably answer your question, but as rough guess I'd say a working, safely lined chimney would add at least $10k in value. If it had a hearth, either alone or as part of a fireplace, probably $20 to $25k.

• charismagenta64
    9 years ago

The value of house is depend on their quality and design. You can tell the possible buyer that you invest in chimney to make a good deal with it. However, sales-talk is the best strategy to sell your house quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheap Home Builders

• graywings123
    9 years ago

A house is more desirable with a fireplace, but you don't need a chimney to have a gas fireplace - you can direct vent through the wall. I doubt that your average buyer would even notice that there wasn't a chimney.

You can put a liner in an old chimney and use that to exhaust a gas fireplace.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I'm very suspicious of a "no good" chimney diagnosis. Chimneys can be relined cost effectively.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

1) I'd be surprised if your existing chimney couldn't be repaired more cost effectively than replacing it. I'd get a second or third opinion.
    2) With modern furnaces and HW heaters you don't need a chimney at all, indeed sealed combustion units that draw in outside air and exhaust through a PVC pipe are much more efficient and safe against potential backdraft situations.
    3) If your chimney is a major architectural feature of your house than it will probably be a detriment to remove and not replace it.
    4) If you want a fireplace you need a well functioning chimney. If your existing chimney has non-structural problems either a stainless steel or concrete liner can be fitted to make it work again.