Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replace gutters or just downspouts?

Posted by chiefsfan (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 6:45

The gutters themselves look fine, but the downspout outlets are 2 inch round with 2 x 3 downs exiting the roof. The previous owner bent the 2x3 to go over the round outlet. I am thinking of 3x4 downs in place of the existing downs. I plan to widen the existing downs outlet to 3x4. Or it may be better just to make it all new.

I have 2 large oak trees and that string stuff they drop clogs the opening quickly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replace gutters or just downspouts?

Typically you want the same or larger openings downstream to prevent back up at full flow. If you find a cure for the oak tree string stuff PLEASE let me know. I have yet to find a reliable "filter" as they just make things clog sooner and everything overruns the downspout anyway. Regular cleaning is the best solution (At least mine are reasonably accessible).

FWIW I put new seamless aluminum gutters a few years back because the roof was done and things really didn't change over my existing wooden gutters.

At one time I tried gutter guards (expanded metal type screens) and in my opinion it was more difficult to get the tangles out of the screens.

Good luck

o

i have been looking for a solution too. So far the best has been a leaf blower. I did check out other houses that do have the 3x4 downs and they had clogs from those stupid oak debris.

o

Seamless gutters are expensive...downspouts are very cheap. I would not replace the gutters unless they are shot.

I would try to widen the opening and go with bigger down spouts. Shouldn't be expensive so why not. Keep bends to a minimum and make them gradual to prevent clogs.

o

Are you doing this yourself of paying a company to do it?

Are you putting in leaf protection at the same time?

Most folks just want to pay a professional to do it as it is a bit difficult work and can be dangerous.

Once you get past the job cost minimums, you may not find that the expense of the gutters is that much.

Can you post up a picture?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here