Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Goopy Stuff From My Windows

Posted by frank1203 (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 4:59

Hi, I want to repaint the side lights connected to left and right sides of steel front door. The issue I’m facing is that there is a sticky/goopy substance that over the years has bled through where the windows meet the side molding. I suspect that it is possibly excess glue from the extreme heat of the sun beating down on the door for about 6-8 hours a day. Not sure I can take a straight edge razor and remove this. Can you recommend any kind of solvent that might get this stuff off that won’t damage the window or paint? This stuff is all along the windows of the side lights and needs to be removed before I can even attempt to paint this. Any ideas and recommendations would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Goopy Stuff From My Windows

Spray 9 cleaner.

o

Thank you. I'm not familiar with Spray 9. Does that have a chemical in it to remove glue/grease? I was also thinking about Goof-Off which I know has acetate and will damage the paint, but I am painting anyway.

o

I don't know what's in the stuff but can tell you have been using it since the 80's to clean everything from the hull of my boat to glue on windows. Don't use in on latex paint unless you want the paint off.

o

Try mineral spirits paint thinner. It does not quickly damage latex paint when rubbed on.

o

goof off will get it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here