Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pectin232

Bathroom Bypass doors Silicon Sealant not sealing even after 48hr

pectin232
14 years ago

after 48 hours. It is for a small bathroom/ toilet Glass/ Metal bypass door... that is put on porcelain tile to the metal frame of the glass door. What should I do... even using a heater to make sure it holds [prevents water from leaking]... it is still leaking. I got the silicon sealant from Home depot. Should I get a better one like immerseal sealant or others? Does it make a difference. It looks like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100645454&N=10000003+90401

I put the silicon part below the metal door on the ground.. The grout and the tile is also ensure that the 'U' shape ... which is the indentation of the grout between the 2 tiles are sealed.. but it is still leaking after my 3rd attempt. What gives.

Comments (6)

• ron6519
    14 years ago

It would help if you stated what caulking you used to seal the frame.
    You should have used a 100% silicone caulking. No latex, no acrylic.
    "The grout and the tile is also ensure that the 'U' shape ... which is the indentation of the grout between the 2 tiles are sealed."
    I have no idea what this means.
    Ron

• pectin232
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sometimes there is a small space between2 tiles separated by the grout. I used a 100% Sillicon Caulking, No Latex or Acrylic.. any ideas ?

• mightyanvil
    14 years ago

Silicone is very waterproof but it doesn't adhere well to surfaces especially if they are porous or not completely clean and free of contaminants. It also should not be in contact with water too long so, water must drain away from the joint.

Silicone also does not seal well when applied thin to a surface. The joint should be between 1/8" and 1/4 inch wide and of the same depth with a backer rod or something to form a concave shape to the back side or at least prevent it from filling the joint to deeply. The front side should also be concave. This hour-glass shape ensures that the sealant will stretch before the adhesion to the surfaces fails.

But since the sealant failed immediately I would assume the surfaces were not cleaned properly. Old sealant is the worst contaminant and the most difficult to get rid of.

Silicone is used for joints with a lot of movement between dissimilar materials like at exterior aluminum windows. If this joint will not move much you might consider a polyurethane sealant which is less flexible but more resistant to water contact and adheres to surfaces far better. It is preferred over silicone in marine applications.

• pectin232
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is actually a new bathroom remodel from scratch. The Sliding doors are actually new and it is bound to the ground on the new tile... the previous old bathroom took out was the same thing. I acutally sealed the surface first before I put the silicon sealant.

• GammyT
    14 years ago

Pectin can you post photos of the area that is leaking? You say "The Sliding doors are actually new and it is bound to the ground on the new tile"

Bound to the ground? Is there a shower pan and or a curb?

• mightyanvil
    14 years ago

If you used a chemical to seal the tile that may be the cause of the poor adhesion.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs