Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Demolition of brick mailbox monstrosity

Posted by ohmmm (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 23:08

I want to be rid of this ugly brick eyesore in front of the house. Can I reasonably expect to be able to knock this all apart with a large sledgehammer? Or do I need to rent a small powered hammer/chisel demo tool?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Demolition of brick mailbox monstrosity

A two-pound hammer and a 1-1/2" mason's chisel should be all you'd need to take it apart, though a power chisel would be faster and more fun.

o

you could also cut it up with a skil saw and a masonry blade.

why remove it? It doesn't look bad and I pity the fool that hits it with a car.

o

This:
http://www.micro-blaster.com/

Not cost effective, but it looks like fun.

o

Brick is easy tp 'dis-assemble.'

Mortar has very little strength in tension, so aim the chisel (mentioned above) almost parallel to the face of the bricks and they will pop right off.

Not more than an hours work there to take apart.

A little longer to get rid of the bricks.

o

and the love of demo is lifelong!

have a blast!

o

It was probably put up there the 3rd time some idiot ran over his metal mailbox on a post. It would look nice with a small low juniper bush on each side or some flowers or heavy pot with flowers in it on top.

o

Thanks for the tips. It's not actually used for mail delivery. The postal guy only goes down one side of the street, so our real mailbox is on the other side of the road.
I just want to be rid of it. Apparently all builders here put one of these brick things up with each house. And then they stick the cheapest piece of crap mailbox in it.

o

What was it Jimmie Walker used to say? Oh, yeah, "dynomite!!!!!"

o
Second (better) idea

Actually, try craigslist. I'm sure someone out there would like some used bricks.
Don

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here