Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to paint baseboards w/ carpets?

Posted by brusso (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 07 at 21:39

I am painting several rooms with baseboards and each room is wall to wall carpet. In the past, I used a 12 drywall knife to 'hold down' the carpet as I painted the baseboard and this works pretty good. The problem is when I move on to another section, the carpet 'bounces' back up and gets some paint on it. What is a better way to do this where maybe I can keep the carpet away from the baseboard until the paint completely dries on the baseboard?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to paint baseboards w/ carpets?

If the carpet is wall to wall then it's probably installed with tackboard on the edges. If you start pulling all the carpet off the tack board you will have to have a stretcher to get it back in place.
One idea that I've used is to put down 2 or 3" masking tape on the carpet and run it up about 1/4" to 3/8" up on the baseboard. Then take your drywall knife and tuck this extra 1/4" down between the carpet and the baseboard. This works best if the pile on the carpet isn't too thick. Anyway, will only cost you a few cents to try.

o

I've seen strips to tuck under there sold at some Lowe's and HD's. But you can also cut thin strips (like 3") from a large cardboard box. Stiffer cardboard works better - try to tuck all the way under, and cut plenty at the beginning for the whole room.

o

coolvt, the last time I had to do this, I did the same thing, excpet that instead of tape, I got a 12" wide roll of butcher paper and used that. Gave me some extra latitude for my extra-sloppy brush handling. (Roller good, brush bad...)

o

Pieces of 2 inch wide venetion blind wedged under the trim and over the carpet.
I cut out the section with holes to prevent any problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here