Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellowd_tx

Screws for a washing machine

mellowd_tx
10 years ago

I need to get a couple of screws for my front loading washing machine. I have found that they are AP2106225 Screw,pan head ,8-18B x 0.31. Now for my situation... they are almost 4 dollars a piece. Is there somewhere I can get them cheaper?

Thanks you!

Comments (14)

• sdello
    10 years ago

It looks like a sheet metal screw with an integral lock 'washer'. It doesn't say on the link but the image looks like stainless steel to me. You might try going to a local appliance repair parts department and see what they are retailing for.

I know where you're coming from, but if a local parts store doesn't have them, I'd likely just bit the bullet and buy them.

Where are they going? If it just holding a panel on, you might use a generic sheet metal screw.

Here is a link that might be useful: the specified screw

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

MellowD:

PM me your address. I'll send you the 8 bucks.

• sdello
    10 years ago

Tre:
    Not for anything, but that's pretty condescending. I suspect with MellowD it's not the money it's the principle.

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

I can get them for $3.95!

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

we all ought to send Trebuchet our addresses by PM and claim we are MellowD and await arrival of our checks. lol

• mellowd_tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trebruchet: Thank you for the offer but it is the principle. sdello is right and I agree but I think you are VERY condescending. I usually like taking money from people like you but since you were already called out I will pass.

Geoffrey_B: I can also get them at $3.95, I feel as though I am getting screwed on that deal.

You know I can tell most of you are not single women without anyone to help them. I think I do pretty good attempting to save money by fixing it myself. I think you should be ashamed of the smart aleck answers I received. My only comfort is people like sdello who truly have a helpful heart and the knowledge of what comes around goes around.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

"You know I can tell most of you are not single women without anyone to help them."

I was sympathetic to the response you got - but you've lost me with this sexist comment. What difference does it make whether you're male or female? You wanted help finding a lower price for something you thought was overpriced.

Regarding gender bias in this thread, you are out of line and do women an injustice.

YMMV

• mellowd_tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are right⦠it was a very sexist statement; if you need help and information you need help or information. My apologies. Thank you again to those who tried to help me.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

MellowD,

BTW, I don't think any of us knew your gender...

Don't hesitate to ask if additional questions come up.

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

I don't think anyone here wanted to offend you.

As an engineer, I'll give you a general lesson: Mechanical equipment, is built with specific, custom fabricated parts...... However there is a lot of 'general hardware' - screws, wire, etc.

The manufacturer 'specs' the hardware, and buy's it from some factory (unfortunately in China). There are always exceptions: like if something is really long or needs to be very strong.

That screw is a general hardware item. Take the picture to the hardware store, and they'll fix you up!

• mellowd_tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Geoffrey... I did take a screw and go to Home Depot and the associate told me I needed to go to a hardware store. Yeah he was just that helpful. I will go back and will not take 'no' for an answer this time... it's just to hold the sheet metal on the frame... it works fine without it but just makes an awful noise!

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

IMO, hardware stores have much better selection of small items like that. HD, Lowes are really about building / remodeling.

The reason the screw costs $8.00 is that the manufacturer has to have it on a bill of material, and actually stock it, account for it, for a period of years.

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

McMaster Carr is a great source for odd (and ordinary) hardware delivered to your door, often the next day.

You might have to buy 100 screws and it will still cost you 8 bucks though, but you'll be set for the next couple of decades.

A real hardware store (eg not HD, Lowes, whatever) is probably your best bet. An ordinary sheet metal screw of about the right size, with a lock washer if you like, will certainly substitute for whatever specialty bit of kit the manufacturer used.

Here is a link that might be useful: many sizes and shapes of sheet metal screws

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

MellowD:

I'm sorry if I sounded condescending.

I guess I was just thinking of this from the screw seller's perspective. It must be incredibly difficult to make a living selling anything for 4 dollars. It would be particularly aggravating to have those purchasers complain about the price.