Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
discolored popcorn ceiling- pic- what caused it?

Posted by cheerpeople (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 20:48

We are buying this house. I'm wondering what you think caused this patchy discoloration on the ceiling. It seems to have a horizontal line to it.

The home inspector was not phased by it. It doesn't seem to be worse around the fire place. We know the roof is in need of replacement as that was in the report.
thx

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/cheerpeople/IMG_0075.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/cheerpeople/IMG_0074.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: discolored popcorn ceiling- pic- what caused it?

another pic

Here is a link that might be useful: pic 2

o

"Ghost lines" that telegraph the location of framing members are usually the result of airborne contaminants in the house gathering on condensation lines caused by the thermal loss through the framing members during a heating season.

Meaning, your rafter bays are nicely insulated, but the framing members less so. A 10" rafter bay full of insulation can be R30, but a 10" rafter of solid lumber is R10. In a heating climate, the cooler framing members can chill the drywall surface, lowering the effective dew point right in that little micro-area. Humidity/moisture in the house can condense on those lines. It's not "wet drippy" condensation, just that area being ever-so-slightly moist.

That moistness can then capture and trap airborne contaminants, usually from indoor combustion sources; from the fireplace, from burning candles, etc. The shadow lines are an accumulation of pollutants that telegraph the location of the framing members.

o

mongoct,
Thx for explaining that. I get what your saying, you explained it quite well.

I was so afraid it was going to be something more serious and expensive. We are having the popcorn scraped off and either texture or no texture ( can't decide). I wonder if there is anything to keep it from happening again. Would texture vs no texture ( smooth) make a difference, or maybe if they put up a thicker layer of plaster?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here