Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No-dig-Grd.screw for mail post

Posted by schoolhouse (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 20:20

I dropped in here to ask if anyone has purchased this and what you thought about it. Did it work? or what's your general opinion of it even if you didn't buy it? There are no reviews posted on the catalog's website.

Here is a link that might be useful: No-dig grd.screw

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No-dig-Grd.screw for mail post

Home Depot and probably Lowe's sell a similar device that is driven into the ground.

Neither of which, like this one stopes the post rotting at the base.

Encase a redwood post in an at least 10"X 2.5 too 3' deep hole in a 4" base of loose gravel, dome the top to prevent damage from landscape maintenance and water intrusion.

o

Ok, will re-think it. Gadgets like this are usually too good to be true. Thanks, probably will go the traditional route.

o

I highly recommend the Lowe's one that holds a 4x4 post where you you drive the stake into the ground with a sledgehammer (cut a piece of 4x 4 to fit in, to hit the post into the ground). Easy, fast, our previous one lasted 10 years and rusted out but we were able to reuse the post. Much easier than the conventional way. Not sure how this turning one would be any better.
Best piece of advice- CALL MISS UTILITY TO MARK UNDERGROUND WIRES AND PIPES even if you are only a few inches off your original location. Turns out we had a gas line only 12 inches away from our original post.

o

yep.. like scappy, I bought the driven style and a prefabricated pressure treated 4x4 mailbox post.

It was easy to install, works great and hasn't rotted after about 10+ years of service already.

Here is a link that might be useful: mail box post

o

Be sure to call 811 or the underground utility locating number in your area before driving or digging. Failure to do so could result in your being responsible for any damage to buried utilities. My maIlbox post is on an old wheel filled with concrete which sits on top of the ground.

o

I was going to Lowes for the wooden post, so I'll check out those stakes too.

Pretty sure the gas line isn't anywhere near where the mailbox post sits, but like you say one never knows for sure. I've dug and planted a flower bed there every year since I've lived here. I may have been living dangerously.

Thanks for all the feedback.

o

I bought one of these. no cutting, just stick it in the post-up. Does the job nicely.

Here is a link that might be useful: simple wood post

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here