Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soft-close mechanism for house doors?

Posted by sevrel (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 23, 09 at 17:30

This isn't exactly a repair question but this still seemed like the most suitable forum in which to ask it. I'm wondering if any kind of mechanism exists similar to that which is used to give kitchen cabinets a soft-close, but for house doors? I'd especially like to find something that can easily be attached without any drilling, if such a thing exists. We have a door right below an upstairs bedroom leading to the backyard which is frequently slamming shut. If anybody could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soft-close mechanism for house doors?

You can get door closers like the type in public buildings only smaller for doors. There is one which I installed on the back door since kids never seem to close them. It fits onto one of the hinges. They are at any hardware store for 15 bucks. They work pretty good.

o

Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you happen to recall brand/item name information for what one you bought?

I was going to place an order for a few things through an online store but am not sure how to locate this in the catalog.

Thanks.

o

I don't have that packaging anymore but it would be referred to as a pneumatic door closer. I'm sure if you google "pneumatic door closer" you'll have hundreds to choose from.

o

There's simple silicone patches that you can stick to the door post. You can get them from most do it yourself stores, costs about nothing.

o

I was at Home Depot this evening and saw some door closers you would probably use. They were small and easy to install. The cost range was $8.00-$12.00

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here