Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint over or fix dry rot?

Posted by marilyn_2008 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 08 at 16:48

I started preparing to repaint my 600 ft cottage, which has old wood siding. I found quite a bit of dry rot, the largest being a strip about 3 feet wide and 2 inches tall. The siding is horizontal boards. I asked a contractor friend and he said, just fill it in an repaint, it will buy you a few years, but that was before I found out just how big the holes are. Also, in at least one place, the hole goes all the way through the wood. I am not able to do the work myself so am hiring someone to do the prep work. Based on advice from the hardware store, he is filling in the holes with this bondo stuff that has a hardener. MOney is an issue for me and I have spent $300 so far just on scraping off the old paint. Should I go this route, or what the contractor said was the other route, removing all the siding and completely redoing with Hardiboard or something and painting it? The guy who is helping me used up one quart of Bondo- should I get more and continue this route? Also, in some places, the bottom is touching the ground. The contractor said I should have this part made into a concrete pathway next to the house, which he said would cost $1000- is there another way to do this, such as just replace the bottom boards with boards of this hardiboard stuff? Thanks so much for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint over or fix dry rot?

A Bondo type product will work well if the substrate (e.g. the underlying wood) is still in good condition. If your wood is not solid, I'd look into a penetrating epoxy type of solution.

Usually there are two components. I liquid type penetrating epoxy that is absorbed by the wood to consolidate and remediate the punky wood. You use this to consolidate the wood fibers and assure the structrual integrity of the piece of wood.

The second component is an epoxy filler. This is similar to the bondo type products but epoxy based. Use this to fill the wood to build up to a smooth surface ready for painting.

Diane

o

It would be much better to obtain some new wood siding that matches to old and replace.
But, you can buy bondo in gallons, too.
Casey

o

Sounds like your comntractor is digging for work. Yes, it would be nice to completely re-side w/ hardie, but you stated you are on a budget. I would replace the damaged siding pieces w/ matching. Pouring conctere where the sididng is making contact w/the ground is not a solution. Concrete holds moisture just as the soils do and will not rectify the siding rotting out. You need to have that dug out and sloped away from the structure.

o

Search the Internet for penetrating epoxy products, and get some advice from those folks. It could save you a lot of money, and that kind of thing is easy enough that most people can do it themselves, or hire an inexpensive handman [and closely supervise them and make sure you have read all the product literature and that they have, too, and are doing what they are supposed to and not something else]. You don't have to be a carpenter to do wood restoration.

o

There's a pretty amazing post on restoration on the City-Data house forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/house/367482-restoration-wood-old-houses.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here