Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

Flushmount ceiling light fixture

graywings123
12 years ago

I'm trying to install a new flush mount ceiling light fixture in my kitchen. I can't see what I am doing well enough to get the screws through the holes of the fixture and into the mounting bar. Are there adapter kits or adapter parts that make this easier?

Comments (9)

• User
    12 years ago

In allm of the flush mounts I have installed there are keyhole shaped slots. That allows the installer to install the mounting screws into the mounting bar, orient the fixture base slots on the screw heads, and twist the base to the more narrow part of the slots. That allows the installer to then tighten the screws with the weight of the base being supported by the screws.

• graywings123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wonder whether there are fixtures made to install like that anymore.

I imagine they have eliminated the twist-the-base installation procedure because the interior wiring of the fixture is exposed to the ceiling.

This is a photo of the top of the fixture - it goes directly against the ceiling. The instructions have you install it using two screws, but I am finding it nearly impossible to place the screws where I need them.

I thought about jerry-rigging something to suspend it from the center hole, but between the wires crossing one another at the center and the inconveniently placed grounding screw, I can't easily access the center hole.

• User
    12 years ago

Have never seen a base like that.

I would try using a very long---3" or more---screw to start the installation. That allows you to insert the screw in the one of those two circular slots and find the point on the mounting bar.

It should be fairly easy to locate the other screw position on the opposite end of the bar with the straight slot.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"I imagine they have eliminated the twist-the-base installation procedure because the interior wiring of the fixture is exposed to the ceiling."

There are still plenty of them out there.

The wiring is "exposed to the ceiling" either way.

• sdello
    12 years ago

do the two screws go into the long slotted holes?

Options I see are to use a fixture to mount a standadard brass threaded fitting fitting through the center hole and suspend the light from the center. The other option is to drill new holes where you need them to be. What's the mounting bar look like?

• woodbutcher_ca
    12 years ago

Hi, I think you need longer screws. 8-32 x 2or 3 inches. Hook the wire up, intall a long screw in the long slot in the fixture then as you look between the fixture and the ceiling start the screw enough to just hold then do the same with the second screw.
    Good Luck Woodbutcher

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

One thing tat makes mounting more dificult is the thermal insualtion oftenplaced onthe back ofthecanopy to try and reduce the heat pushed into teh junction box.

The screws need to go through the insulation, but it blocks what little visibility you have through the canopy mounting holes to try and align the mounting screws.

If you poke a hole through the insulation and use longer screws placed at slightly different depths lengths it is a little easier to align the screw heads.
    Note the location of the longer screw and the hole through the insulation above the mounting hole.
    Push that screw through the insulation and the canopy.
    Now you can pivot the canopy to align the other screw and push it through.

If the first screw is long enough you may even be able to tilt the canopy and see the second screw and the hole in the insulation.

Make sure the junction box wiring is not going to be pinched by the longer screws (or even touched).

• Celebrity News
    3 years ago

I am having this very issue now. Exhausting!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths