Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deck repair

Posted by haz5005fix (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 15:52

I have a 14'x7''x1'' board ,on the top deck,
it is shaped into a semi-circle ,it faces south exposure,
sun, wind, rain, as I'm on a hillside.
It needs replacing, "badly" the main problem stems from lack of a drip edge off of the top, cemented deck floor,
as it's caused wood rot, on this piece here, and now , has started underneath, on the support boards a bit.~~ any product, for the wood as well as any suggestions to stop the rot on the 2''x8'.
Please, help, I would like any suggestions of what product to use,
I think the original was green wood, and water- soften to form the semi circle~~
thanx so much in advance
H

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deck repair

Consider using a synthetic deck/fascia board like Trex. They have a moderate amount of flexibility and can be bent even more by carefully applying heat. You won't encounter a rotting problem on any of the pieces you replace with this material.

o

Google decks. Trex has issues. Check consumer reports. Real wood requires maintenance and will rot, and termites will invade. Yep!

The dude across the street, and down the hill from us showed us his Trex deck. It looked awful! Like a bad sunburn! Peeling and not attractive at all. Their warranty did not cover, so he is stuck.

Beware!

o

Nothing is perfect, but I still think using Trex for a fascia board is better than using regular wood in a situation like the OP describes. I don't have a deck made of Trex, but I've used it for raised beds in the Pacific NW for four years with no deterioration, inside or out. In comparison, my cedar raised beds start to deteriorate within a year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here