Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jpherron

Roof coating over roll roofing on low pitch roof?

jpherron
17 years ago

I have a large cape cod style dormer on the back of my house, with a very low pitch roof. It's currently covered in roll roofing, and I've noticed a couple fo small leaks develop this spring. I'd like to replace the entire house roof in a year or two, so I'd rather wait until then to replace the dormer's roof. Is it possible to cover a roll asphalt roof with some kind of roof coating to seal it for another year or 2? The roof is not visible from any angle, so looks are not important. If this is possible, what kind of coating should I use?

Comments (6)

• sdello
    17 years ago

two options that come to mind are roofing mastic or placing another layer of roll or rubber membrane on top. If the leaks are isolated, then slap some goop (mastic) on them until the roof is done properly.

I suspect that you already knew the answer to your question when you posted it. i.e. a "quick and dirty" fix is just that...a quick and dirty fix.

• brickeyee
    17 years ago

Rubber (EPDM) membrane is damaged by contact with petroleum products, like the tar in roofing.
    You need to consider the damage that has likely occured to the roof deck from any leaks you can see, and consider speeding up the replacement.
    Double coverage roll with cold mastic is cheap and pretty easy to apply.

• HU-916240738
    2 years ago

I have a large cape cod style dormer on the back of my house, with a very low pitch roof. It's currently covered in roll roofing, and I've noticed a couple fo small leaks develop this spring. I'd like to replace the entire house roof in a year or two, so I'd rather wait until then to replace the dormer's roof. Is it possible to cover a roll asphalt roof with some kind of roof coating to seal it for another year or 2? The roof is not visible from any angle, so looks are not important. If this is possible, what kind of coating should I use?

I also want to know about it.

• Lukas Yancich
    2 years ago

Here, you can find https://technonicol.in/ the most modern, technologically advanced, and up-to-date solutions for your tasks. After all, TECHNONICOL is a leading international manufacturer of roofing, waterproofing, thermal, and soundproofing materials. The company's product range includes polymer-bitumen waterproofing membranes (APP and SBS), self-adhesive sealing tape, building foils, roofing tiles, single-layer synthetic membranes (PVC and TPO), HDPE membranes with recesses, liquid bitumen waterproofing (primers and mastics. ), polyurethane foam, rock wool, XPS and PIR - everything you need for reliable waterproofing and thermal insulation from foundation to roof of any facility.

• PRO
    Fairway Roofing & Maintenance LLC
    2 years ago

For low sloped roofs on a house rolled roofing is good but I highly recommend going back with a flat roof system. Either going over it with 1/2” HD Board Insulation or 2” ISO or even thicker. Then securing it with plates/screws. Then covering everything with a TPO or EPDM (Rubber) membrane. I recommend TPO but either of them is a good choice.

• 3onthetree
    12 months ago

Anyone who visits this 16 year old thread in the future - the first 2 responses about sealant of any holes, or covering with another layer of roll roofing, is appropriate for this exact OP's scenario, not necessarily all scenarios. The remainder of all the other responses is a trainwreck of shilling and wrongness.

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!