Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ProCell Deck = Looks Terrible After Only 2 Years

Posted by gabeanster (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 15:46

We spent a lot of time researching decking materials before we made a decision. We ended up going with Procell deck boards.

Its now less than two years since the work was done and the deck looks terrible. I've tried several Procell compatible cleaners including CorteClean (huge waste of money).

The deck looks "dry" and faded, except for a few spots which appear to have an oil stain. I have no idea how that got there. We dont even have kids!!!

Each year, we keep our rail system looking decent by treating it with Armor All. Today, while cleaning the rail, I got a spot of Armor All on the deck and it actually made the deck look kind of nice.

Has any one found something that will make the Pro Cell look new again? Anyone tried Armor All on their deck?

Seems crazy, but I doubt I could make it look any worse than it is. I'd never buy Pro Cell again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ProCell Deck = Looks Terrible After Only 2 Years

Look around in the porch and deck forum here on gardenweb, and on the this old house forum. There are a number of people who are unhappy with Procell (now called Azek since it was bought out by them). We had it installed about 3 years ago and so far are reasonably happy with it, though ours is looking more grimy than it should. This weekend I washed it with Spic and Span and ammonia and it got better, though still not as good as I would have expected. Next time I'll try Simple Green with a splash of bleach. I don't have the fading problems, it just looks like ground-in dirt. Evidently there was a bad batch for a while, and it's possible you got some of that. I don't *think* I did, but I'm not positive.

As far as your stains, I've read on some of the other forums that suntan lotion and bug spray will stain Procell/Azek. My only really bad stain--which did get better with my scrubbing this weekend, but it's still there--was from spilled citronella candle wax.

Thanks for the tip about Corte Clean not working well.

o
RE: ProCell Deck = Looks Terrible After Only 2 Years

Here's yet another informative thread:

http://www.deckmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2200

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here