Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kayb222

Craftsman Garage Door Opener

kayb222
18 years ago

I move into a house which has Craftsman Garage Door Opener 4 months ago. All of a sudden my Garage Door will not open or close with my remote. Except when I hold the panel on the wall to close or open it from inside the garage, then only is when it opens only 1/3 of the way up and stop. I replace the battery in the remote and it did not help. I have also notice that the door sometimes opens only when the light on the wall panel blinks.... Please HELP!!

Comments (209)

• btxpress55_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP thats about 12 years old. When I press the wall mount button the lights come on and it makes a Humming noise but the garage door doesn't move. Whats the problem?

• brianalarie_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

Please help this two wire system only want to go down when I hold the wall control all the way to the bottom. All three controls will open with one press but none of them will put it down except like I said by holding the wall control. The other cobtrols just tick tick tick then it kicks out ???
    Thanks in adavance for any help you might be able to give me.
    Cheers
    Brian

• ccromley_excite_com
    16 years ago

Love this collection of wisdom! I now know how to fix all kinds of issues that I don't currently have with my GDO.

I recently bought (for an obscene amount of money, but the owners tossed in a free house) a 16-year-old Craftsman 139.655400 (76LE). Works like a CHAMP. Trouble is the receiver, 139.652021. No manuals, of course, and none available online or for the ordering. There are two wireless remotes - they were both working but only when very close. Replaced batteries. Now they are strong, but they no longer work. Batteries test fine, and remote LED lights up when I press a button.

Receiver has 9 DIPswitches. Remotes have 9 DIPswitches. I would think these have to do with the code and should be all the same. They were all three slightly different! I have tried setting numerous codes on the receiver and matching (or even mirror-imaging) on the remotes ... no dice.

Is there a reset procedure I need to go through when I set up a new DIPswitch setting, or is it immediately active? What else am I doing wrong?

Two wires from the opener to the receiver.
    One red RESET button on the opener.
    One button on the receiver (it works fine, although it doesn't stop the door partway when hit mid-lift, as the remote used to when it worked).

TIA ... Clayton

• chadnepomuceno_ameritech_net
    16 years ago

I got the 1/2 Craftsman GDO back in 1997. Both remotes and the keypad worked with no problem, until last year, when I had to replace the battery on one of my remotes. Mind you, I've replaced it before with no problems. What happened next was that when I programmed the this remote, the other stopped working, and vice versa. I tried the following:

Removed all codes, then programmed the remotes first. Both worked, but the keypad now does not.

Removed all codes, then programmed the keypad first. It works, but the remotes does not register at all.

Did various combinations but bottomline is, if put in the any of the remotes first, the keypad does not work. Same thing with the remotes, the keypad does not program at all.

This morning, since I'm staying home from work, I tried to address the keypad/remote issue with my GDO. No success still, same thing happening.
    Help please!!!

• garmike_optonline_net
    16 years ago

Chad,

I have the same problem and Sears just had me replace the logic board, but it made no difference. If you find out the answer let me know....

• ticktock01_gmail_com
    15 years ago

I have an old Craftsman Model 139.535155R Garage Door Opener.
    I am trying to install a 3rd party (Clicker) Wireless Entry that will open the garage door with a 4 digit password. My problem is that the Clicker instructions specify that the first dip switch setting has to be -. That's fine, but it means I have to change my garage door opener dip switch setting to a -. I can find the dip switches in my garage door opener in my car, but I can't find the dip switches on the garage door opener itself. Can you tell me where to find the dip switches?
    Thanks,

• DIYIdiot_gmail_com
    15 years ago

My neighbor's 1/2 HP Craftsman garage door opener opened and ran the door all the way back to the bolt located on the track right in front of the motor. The door is opened as far as it can go. When you hit the button to close the door, it makes a noise like it's attempting to continue opening the door, but it doesn't try to close the door.

I've tried unplugging the garage door opener for 30 seconds hoping that would reset it. I also pushed and held the button on the wall with no success too.

The light doesn't blink after pushing the button, but a green LED on the back of the unit blinks. Pushing the reset button next to the green LED stops the green LED from blinking.

Is there a way to reset the opener so it'll attempt to close the door? I'd also like to reset where the door stops when opening.

Thanks,
    Ken

• barbara_n_brooks_lonestar_edu
    15 years ago

My roommate moved out and took one of the garage door openers with her. I still have one of the originals that works but would like to change the frequency so that the remote she has will no longer work. I do not have the original documentation and cannot seem to find any manuals online.

• l_c_kuo_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

My 3/4 hp GDO lights come on, but the unit does not operate (i.e., opens the door). Lightening struck really close to my house and burnt out my television and this GDO.

Any suggestions as to getting the GDO to work again? Unit is 3 years old.

• bigdplapjack_aol_com
    15 years ago

i have a craftsman 41a5021-3b and i need someone to email me a copy of the wiring instructions to bigdplapjack@aol.com asap. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• flyingcheeses_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I have a Craftsman 1/2 hp. I have noticed that when I open and close the garage door that the light bulb flickers and then will go off. Does this mean that my light bulb is getting ready to go or is there something wrong with the unit. It just started doing this in the last few days. We haven't had any storms or anything.

Thanks,

Toni

• dhamiroop_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

Hi there I have a Craftsman 1/2 horse model 41A3516-2. My problem is whenever someone opens or closes their car door with the remote or turns the car alarm on or off with the remote my door opens.

Need help
    Thank you

• Imapuma_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I have an older Craftsman Garage Door Opener 1/2 hp. There is only one larger button on the wall, but three on the remote, though only one seems to work. The other day, I opened it with the wall button and it only opened about half-way before it started to grind. I rushed to the door and helped it up the rest of the way. When I tried to close it to leave, I had to help it again. When I returned, it would not work. When the case was taken off, it looked like the big plastic wheel inside was worn out... a bunch of it had been turned into a plastic snow. Can I get a replacement wheel for cheap? Is it easy to replace?

Thank you!

• nikolas_vikron_com
    15 years ago

I have a Model#: 139.53674SRT. I just replaced the external keypad unit (old one broke) and am having trouble programing the remote openers and the keypad at the same time. I followed the instructions to program the keypad - nothing happened. I cleared the memory on the opener and then was able to program the keypad - but the remotes wouldn't work. I then cleared the memory on the opener and was able to program the remotes but not the keypad. How do I program the remotes and the keypad?

• bernielguard-eb_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

I just read thru this whole discussion today. Pretty neat. Looks like Don, the guy who answered most posts, gave it up back in 2006.

Early on it answered one of my questions: about the flashing light on the wired control and pressing the Lock button to turn off the flashing and enable the wireless remotes to work (the Lock button is for when you go on vacation and might have been inadvertantly pressed).

My 2nd problem is trying to get my Chrysler Town & Country's ceiling console buttons to open the GDO. Apparently I have "rolling codes" or a Canadian system which needs additional procedures followed -- which I have but it still doesn't work. I am reading www.homelink.com but still don't have it solved.

Bernie

• fox_ggotsn_kurzepost_de
    13 years ago

If you stripped the white gear, instructions are here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1347192/lifter/liftmaster_repair.html

Here is a link that might be useful: gear replacement for sears craftsman garage door opener

• sreed45_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I accidentally pushed the vacation lock button on one of my Craftsman 1/2 horsepower garage-door openers, and have tried pushing it for 5+ seconds several times (even took a clock with a second hand out there to make sure I wasn't rushing it). The green light on the wall control is still flashing and the remotes aren't working. My other half is due home soon & is not likely to have received my phone message telling him to use the other door (car not there right now) when he tries to ride in on his motorcycle & that won't be a happy moment. :-)

Need help asap, please.

Thanks,

Shelley

• sreed45_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I accidentally pushed the vacation lock button on one of my Craftsman 1/2 horsepower garage-door openers, and have tried pushing it for 5+ seconds several times (even took a clock with a second hand out there to make sure I wasn't rushing it). The green light on the wall control is still flashing and the remotes aren't working. My other half is due home soon & is not likely to have received my phone message telling him to use the other door (car not there right now) when he tries to ride in on his motorcycle & that won't be a happy moment. :-)

Need help asap, please.

Thanks,

Shelley

• ccotten1_triad_rr_com
    13 years ago

Is there any way to disable the photo sensors altogether? One of mine has stopped working. I got the info from one of the posts above about pushing the wall button and that being the manual overide for the photo sensors. I just want to take them out of the equation completely, but still use my GDO with the remote, keypad and wall button...is this doable?

• tdesenfants_att_net
    13 years ago

Model 139.53637SRT Light will not shut off. Short of replacing the logic board, what else should I try?

• icgrafx_yahoo_ca
    13 years ago

Hi,

I installed a Craftsman Garage opener about 2 years ago.
    Suddenly, yesterday it stopped working.
    I pressed the remote and the machine closed the door; however, I tried to re-open the door to get my car out, but it wouldnt open.
    I can hear the motor working but it just not turning the gears for the chain.
    The motor runs for about 1 minute but nothing happens.
    I now have to close and open it manually.
    Thanks very much for any help.

• ggilbert_hgcconstruction_com
    12 years ago

My son bought a house with a craftsman 1/2 horse opener. It won't go down. The motor turns on, starts to move the door down then stops, backs up & flashes. The sensors seem to be working fine & we disconnected the door to see if it had a catch which would set off the safety stop. It still barely moves. We adjusted the up & down force both directions but it still won't operate. Any ideas? It seems like the sensitivity is too high but I can't find an adjustment for that. All the sprockets & gears seem fine & the chain & cable seem good too.

• rgilbert_mediacombb_net
    12 years ago

Model no. 139 53966srt I just replaced the plastic gear on my opener an now all it will do is move about 10" and then reverse the same amount. I think I got everything back together right

• timothy_obrien_charter_net
    12 years ago

I have a newer (within the past 3 years) sears 1/2 hp garage door opener. Yesterday it started to open again once it was closed. I have adjusted all the tension/open/close adjustment screws and cannot get it to stay closed. I have cleaned and adjusted the safety eyes at the base of the door and the green lights indicate they are aligned. Any suggestions?

• cbrown_cbasol_com
    12 years ago

A relative drove off with my remote. Now I would like to reprogram my remaining remote and vehicle so that the remote the relative has would not work. I've been told by sears that if the remote the relative has is not damage it will still be able to open the garage. I was also told that if a neighbor has a remote with the 3 blue buttons that they could also open my garage. Please assist. I have a 41AC150-2 Craftman 1/2 power

• jamaica_soccer_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hello,

I have recently moved into a house with a Sears Carftsman 1/2 hp grage door opener, I don't know excatly the year but it looks fairly new (5 years max). I've resided in the house now for a little over 4 months, and my kids were playing outside with a ball, and apperently the ball hit one of the sensors and the light has gone out. The other sensor has a orange light (always been like that). Now I have great difficultly trying to close the door, it seems only when the sensor's (that was hit) light flashes green (for brief periods) only then the door will go down, sometimes the light gives out in mid closing and the system pulls the door back up.

Is there any way to fix this or do I need to buy new parts?

• harbans_badesha_ypg_com
    12 years ago

I have new model #139-18453dm garage door opener.
    I have an older keyless entry pad model # 139.18795 which I cannot make operate the new garage door opener.
    Is this model # too old. do I need to purchase a new one.
    Why do they not work on newre and newer openers.
    Thanks.

• sharonhall0369_att_net
    12 years ago

We had a power outage today and I needed the car out of the garage....so my husband pulled the chain and we opened the door....now that the power is back on we can't get the garage door opener to ingage...is there a button we push or does it need a service man...thought all we had to do was start the opener and it would start itself...HELP

• dmbuelow_comcast_net
    12 years ago

My Sears Craftsman garage door opener will not open the garage door with the reomote. The remote "will" open the door. When I press and hold the control button on the wall the door will go down. I cleaned and tested the electric eyes, both are green, I remade the connections at the opener. What next

• dmbuelow_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I also disconected the door frrom the trolly and have the same issue.

• karens_internet_gmail_com
    12 years ago

My craftsman garage door opener is about 13-14 years old now. Yesterday it worked fine. This morning, it opened, but would not close all the way down when leaving for work. It stops about a foot from the ground, above the sensors. Tried opening and closing it a couple times with the remote, wall button and manually, all with the same result. There's nothting obvious in the tracks that blocks the door. What else can I check, adjust or self repair before the repairman shows up in another week?

• GROBIN2816_AOL_COM
    12 years ago

i HAVE CRAFTSMAN GARAGE DOOR OPENER IT HAS A WALL PANEL WITH THREE BUTTONS. IT IS ACTING CRAZY. NOW THE UNIT WITH GO GREEN ON THE WALL PANEL NOW IT DOESNT DO ANYTHING. ALSO, I HAVE ALREADY DID THE LOCK UNLOCK FEATURE WITHOUT SUCCESS. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. ALSO CHECKED POWER TO THE WALL PANEL LINE AND THERE IS ZERO.

• jfthoma_chartertn_net
    12 years ago

I have a Sear Garage door opener with inside wall control; outside keypad entry, two Sears car openers properly programmed and my Honda car opener properly programmed. Until roughly six months ago everything worked properly I could open the garage door from 75 to 0 feet away from the door and all parts in between. It is now almost impossible to open the garage door from any distance. I have to pull up and away from the garage door before I can find a spot where it will open. It works this way regardless of which 2 sears remote openers or the Honda car opener that I use; so it should not be a battery problem. The wall remote and keypad entry work fine. Could I be getting some type of RF interference and need to change my RF code?

• fatosplaka_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have a really big problem with my garage door, it open and close whenever likes by it self. I am very concern because me and my wife working day time and when we come back from work, we find it open.

Is there any way i can fix this?

thanks

• fatosplaka_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have a really big problem with my garage door, it open and close whenever likes by it self. I am very concern because me and my wife working day time and when we come back from work, we find it open.

Is there any way i can fix this?
    the model is craftsman 139,53985

thanks

• suzieq1966
    8 years ago

Don, I have a Craftsman garage door opener, and the keypad appears to be dead. I changed the battery--nothing. I no longer have a remote, so the only way in from outside is the keypad. Any ideas what might be wrong? I can see a white wire that connects to the motor, but that's all I've gotten around to looking at...HELP!

• sdello
    8 years ago

if the keypad is dead then I think the next step is buy a new one. You might also consider getting a replacement remote. Depending on how old the opener is, units with two remotes and a keypad can be had for ~$150.

Are you saying that the keypad has a wire going to the motor? Virtually all of the recent Craftsman keypads are wireless, so that part doesn't make much sense.

• sdello
    8 years ago

Here's a link to a 10 year old GardenWeb post about a wired keypad confirming my suspicion that it is an old system that is now obsolete. Time for an upgrade.

Craftsman WIRED keypad

• garry169
    7 years ago

I have a single button Sears wall switch with 1/2 hp opener. Light on wall unit flashes continuously while car remote does not work. The wall switch does open and close door. I don't see a vacation switch. Thanks for any help. GKC

• sdello
    7 years ago

what model and how old?

First thing I'd try is remove power from the opener and then power it back up to see if it resets.

did you try to re-program the remotes?

• Decarius Spells
    7 years ago

Hello everyone! Just purchased a home with Craftsman 139.53674srt1 opener. Previous owners have a ONE-button wall controller, and a VERY old TWO-button remote. It also has the keypad on the wall. Here's my deal:

My vehicles have built-in openers that are universal, and can connect to rolling-code openers (which I was told.... this is). But, I cannot get my cars to connect. Seems that the owner's manual only speaks to programming it to specific Craftsman remotes. So, I'm not sure how to make it work.

1. When I press the botton on the back of the opener, and hold it... nothing happens. I thought the light on the opener would go out, or flash, or something. I press and release, run jump in my car, press and hold the button as I do with others that I've programmed... and nothing happens.

2. The manual speaks to the "Premium Control Unit"... I'm not sure what that is. That wall controller has ONE button at the very top.. Opens and closes the door.

3. The keypad on the outside of the garage needs programming. The owners gave me their code. But I'm uneasy about this. Again... tried to program pursuant to the directions in the manual.... but nothing happens.

Help......

• sdello
    7 years ago

Does the keypad have instructions for changing the code on the inside of the covr door? Look online for the manual for your specific keypad model and get the program instructions.

The Premium Control Unit has two additional butons on the wall control. One for the light and one for "lock" mode.

Does the keypad work?

These instructions should set the code. You need to remove the keyapd from the wall or use two people because you need to hold down a button on the keypad while pressing the learn button on the opener.

If you
    do not have a Premium Control Console:

1. Choose a 4-digit password
      using numbers from 0 to 9 (a number can be used more than once, for example, 4,
      0, 4, 1).

2. Press
      the four buttons for the password, then press and hold the Enter button. The indicator light on the door opener panel
      will blink.

3. Press and release the SRT
      (learn) button on the opener panel. After the opener light flashes, release the
      Enter button.

Test by pressing the
      password, then press Enter. The door should begin to move.

As far as your vehicle is concerned you need to verify the frequency of the transmitter in the car is compatbile with the Craftsman opener. The dealer or manual for the car should help there. similar to the keypad, I suspect you need to hold the button in the car and simultaenously press and release the button on the opener (again you might need two people).

Good luck

• Decarius Spells
    7 years ago

Thanks. Tried this. This is what the manual says. But nothing's working. I have the old door controller. No lights, no lock. Just BUTTON.... Yuck. I followed the instructions with my owner's manual for my car. Nothing works. It's all basically the same. Hit Learn Button (this one doesn't turn on the bulb...), then within 30 seconds, I push and hold the assignable button in the car until the indicator says it's connected....... Doesn't open the door. Car remote works fine on my old home's opener (went back and reprogrammed that one to rule out my three cars systems being at fault).

I'm so very confused and frustrated.....

• sdello
    7 years ago

let's go one at at time.

Did you get the keypad reprogrammed?

Does the keypad work now? (It might need a new battery)

The instruction above expect you to be able to access the keypad and the "opener panel" (which is at the opener unit itself) simultaneously, as you need to hold the enter button on the keypad while pressing and releasing the SRT button on the opener.

Do you get any of the responses that the instructions describe "indicator light blinking", "opener light (bulb light) flashing"?

If not then the unit is not responding period.

Car remotes. Again you should see some response from the unit to indicate that it's communicating.

If not, it may be time to call a garage door specialist to come out an take a look.

• ldrylie
    5 years ago

I have a Craftsman 139.53637SRT garage door opener. Recently the receiving eye was damaged (pin broke off); I replaced it with one that was new old-stock, and the safety sensor is now working properly. But I now have a new problem. The opener, which had been working well prior to the receiving eye replacement, now exhibits odd behavior. When I engage the opener it will lift the door steadily without jerking or unusual noise, and it will lower the door smoothly and gently. But the 3rd time I engage the opener, it stops and the light flashes 10 times. It does so whether that 3rd activation is on the up or down motion. It does so while the indicator light on the receiving eye is steady green; that is, there is no obstruction, and the safety sensor senses no obstruction. So the opener is behaving as though the sensor has indicated an obstruction even though it has not. If I continue to engage the opener (either from the wall switch or remote) the green light on the back of the opener flashes to indicate it has received the signal and then clicks exactly 4 times; but if I wait 4-5 minutes and try again, it lifts and lowers the door normally. There is nothing on the troubleshooting list in the manual to address this circumstance. Up and down travel is set appropriately (smooth operation, no sag in the chain). Up and down force is set appropriately (mid-range) and the door will reverse upon hitting a 1x4 placed in the opening. It is almost as if the opener needs a rest after being activated 2 or 3 times in close succession. I am baffled.

• sdello
    5 years ago

Did you often operate the the door multiple times within a short time period prior to replacing the the sensor? I suspect the motor may be heating up and needs a brief period to cool down.

It's interesting that you get the 10 blinks which indicate a sensor fault.

• ldrylie
    5 years ago

Hi, thanks for your response! No, the opener had been disengaged (unplugged, and the emergency release pulled) since removing the damaged receiving eye a little more than a month ago. I installed the new eye before plugging it back in. After doing the work I am unable to activate the opener more than 2-3 times before it goes into this 'click mode' for 4-5 minutes after which it works again. Very odd. I opened the housing; the motor is not heating up and the gears, etc. look as they should.

• DavidR
    5 years ago

I agree that it sounds like an over-temp sensor shutting down the unit until it cools. I can't think of anything else that would act the way you describe. The sensor might be inside the motor, where it's sensing heat you can't feel from the outside.

• ldrylie
    5 years ago

Problem solved! At least I think so. A friend came to have a look who'd done some research and had an idea it was something to do with the frequencies; maybe if he's out there he'll log in and shed some light. We decided to replace the sending eye as well, which was undamaged and had been sending a steady signal. After this simple step it works like a new opener. Apparently you can't just replace one when its damaged, but the pair has to be installed together. Anyway, it's all good now. Thanks very much for the responses, and perhaps this resolution will help someone else. --LLD

• alfred berth
    5 years ago

Hello, the same problem with you my open door not configure for work,

garage door opener repair and maintenance

i see this video tutorial and step instruction, checked sensor door work fine, for work but working for me. installed the new eye on door but not signal response