Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dry Well Repair

Posted by newgarden (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 15:41

I was hoping someone could help me. My clothes washer drains into a dry well. For a while now, the water has been pooling around the well pipe. I can also see soap suds bubbling up out of the well. For the past month, some water from the washer has been backing up into the laundry room. This doesn't happen every time I wash, but often enough. My husband opened the top of the well and removed alot of sludge. This helped for a few days, but then it started happening again. I'm assuming the well is clogged with lint. Can it be cleaned out, or does a new one need to be dug? Who would I call for this? Thanks for any information!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dry Well Repair

Using a drywell for this is not a good idea. In many locations it is illegal to dump this into the ground. The soap residue will clog the the drainage areas of the well. Add to that the lint and it will seal the well completely over time.
Reroute the water to the cesspool or sewer.
Ron

o

I guess I will check with the township. This was the setup in place when we bought the house 10 years ago. What you say makes sense, and I suspect is what is happening here, but I have also read that having the laundry water discharge into the septic is bad for the septic. In either case, can you tell me if I would call a plumber to do this? Thanks for taking the time to respond!

o

You can dig around the drywell, remove the soil, and replace with new gravel. This whould re store the function without getting into replacing the drywell.

o

Thank you. I think that is what I'm going to try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here