Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibbeth

Need help choosing what color Architectural Roof Shingle?

ibbeth
11 years ago

I need help in picking out what color shingle I should use on my house. I've been looking at the Weathered wood and Driftwood which is about the same color. My brick is red with some tans and dark brown bricks mixed in. I'm going with the architectural look. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

This post was edited by ibbeth on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 21:03

Comments (6)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I would use a slate or black colored shingle if it were me.

• randy427
    10 years ago

I prefer a light to medium green with a brick house.
    JMHO

• chickadee4
    10 years ago

I must apply joint compound to two rooms and hate to start the job so I am reading the forums.

Roof colors are not available in all 48 states but based on the plant location. Since I live in the North East I had to choose what was available in my zip code.
    My NJ home was a pink brick with black shudders and white soffits and trim. The sides had grey clapboard.
    A light grey architectural tile would have worked but instead I did a green with dark grey and pink in the tile.
    I moved recently and had to paint the outside . The exterior color was a dark tan with a brown architectural roof asphalt tile. The tile had hints of a cream/ yellow so I painted the house a muted yellow brown . It was a cabot color that looked tan but dried as a pale yellow.I Love it!!
    The roof and home color match.

Choose what you like or what you think will work and then ask the dealer for home addresses who installed this tile. Visit the home and see what color the base of the home was why it worked or why it didn't.
    I also had the roofer lay three sheets of the tile on the home so I saw a better idea of the color.
    My choices were a three shades of grey or the grey green pink tile. The grey green/pink tile was the winner.

Green does work well with brick but not as a single color.

• chickadee4
    10 years ago

Got it
    I really don't want to work with the joint compound so I found your tile.
    You are referring to GAf timberline HD
    The weatherwood has yellow it. Where does your house have yellow?
    The BArkwood also has yellow in it . Where is the yellow? Yes red and yellow go but it has to be the right tone.

I woud stay away from the mission brown since I see orange.

I would get two sheets of barkwood ,two sheets of weather wood and a sheet of the williamsburg slate which has green red and grey in it.

I would climb a ladder and place the tiles on the home roof. Place them as individual or side by side.

I can see why you choose the BArk wood and Weather wood. If the dealer mumbles he has none of these samples then ask the dealer for home owners who have the color installed and ask them for a spare sheet.

Hope this helps.
    For me as soon as we tossed the green pink tile on the roof it was a no brainer. It makes a huge difference to see it up there then on the ground on a color board.

GAf offers a virtual color program. For your home choose the style that resembles your brick color . Then skip the side color option. choose house trim and then you can an idea of what it may look like......

• chickadee4
    10 years ago

Got it
    I really don't want to work with the joint compound so I found your tile.
    You are referring to GAf timberline HD
    The weatherwood has yellow it. Where does your house have yellow?
    The BArkwood also has yellow in it . Where is the yellow? Yes red and yellow go but it has to be the right tone.

I woud stay away from the mission brown since I see orange.

I would get two sheets of barkwood ,two sheets of weather wood and a sheet of the williamsburg slate which has green red and grey in it.

I would climb a ladder and place the tiles on the home roof. Place them as individual or side by side.

I can see why you choose the BArk wood and Weather wood. If the dealer mumbles he has none of these samples then ask the dealer for home owners who have the color installed and ask them for a spare sheet.

Hope this helps.
    For me as soon as we tossed the green pink tile on the roof it was a no brainer. It makes a huge difference to see it up there then on the ground on a color board.

GAf offers a virtual color program. For your home choose the style that resembles your brick color . Then skip the side color option. choose house trim and then you can an idea of what it may look like......

• 2bedhomewares
    10 years ago

Grey, maroon, yellow these may be used.