Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have questions about nailing window casing

Posted by suel41452 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 14:10

I have a bathroom window that I'm adding a mitered casing to frame it. Casing is 2 1/4" wide x 11/16" thick painted pine. Have the pieces sawed out, have a nail set, 4d nails, & plan to make pilot holes.
Wondering if some kind soul could tell me where to nail in the finishing nails on the casing & how far apart? I've googled and no one goes into those details (except to stay 1 inch away from the miter).
I looked at casing I have, and the nails - as best I can tell by tiny dents - seem about 9" apart.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have questions about nailing window casing

sue141452:

Your nails must hit the framing underneath the drywall; where you place them is less important.

I usually go into the first groove in the molding to obscure the nail heads even more. I'd hot-melt my miters together first because if the jamb and drywall aren't in perfect plane, and they usually aren't, it will make uneven miters. Don't overnail and don't be afraid to shim and caulk. Less is more here, it's just trim.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 16:24

o

Use 6d galvanised or stainless finish nails for the bathroom in my opinion as by the time a 4d goes thru the trim and drywall there is not much to hold in the wood.

o

Thanks, I have some, I'll do that.

o

Trebruchet, just noticed my response to you didn't get posted. I'll do what you said to the miters, sounds like a great idea, thanks!!

o

You want the 4d into the jamb, 6 or 8 into the drywall. For mitered trim it helps a lot if the drywall is slightly proud of the jamb, that tends to tighten the miters; if it is the opposite the miter will open when you nail into the drywall and framing behind. If the jamb is proud first nail all around in to the jamb with your 4d nails, after your miters fit well, then shim firmly against the drywall behind the miters before nailing the outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here