Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
excalibur_gw

Need help with GDO. Opens by itself

excalibur
15 years ago

I bought a house and was renovating it for months. I never had any problems. When my new tenants moved in they asked me for a garage door opener remote so I went down and bought one. I bought a Sky Link G5 for my LiftMaster Model 41A3516-1. I was having trouble programing it from the instructions and when I called the 1 800 number they were closed for the day. The next day when the company called me back they told me what they thought I had done wrong so I returned to the house to try what they suggested. My tenant told me I had left the door open but I am sure I didn't. I tried what they had told me and had no sucess again. The next day when I returned to call the company during their hours my tenant told me that I had left the door open again but I know I didn't. We determaned that the door was opening on its own. That day I managed to get the remote programed with the company but the door still keeps opening whenever it wants even when we take the battery out of the remote. I even asked my 5 closest niebours to push their buttons and it didn't open. PLEASE HELP ME. My motor unit only has a yellow learn button so I can't change any pins

Any suggestions would really help cause I don't want to buy a new opener.

Thank you

Comments (5)

• maryland_irisman
    15 years ago

An airplane or helicopter flying over can cause that to happen if they happen to be using the radio. The frequencies are very close. Also, ham radios and other type transmitters can do it. The newer openers have a rotating code which helps minimize false activation.

If DON 1 happens to stumble in here, I'm certain he can explain it better. I consider him to be the expert.

• bentap
    15 years ago

I had a similar problem at the condo association I was in..after a bit of time, I discovered that the "0" key in my neighbors garage door key pad was stuck down...not easy to find. once lifted, no more problem...several years later....same thing..so check the key pads of your neighbors...that might be the trick

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

The most common cause of this problem is a bad wall control or the wiring going to it. You can eliminate the control by removing it from the wall and disconnecting one of the wires on the back. Bad wiring is caused by staples cutting through the insulation and shorting the two wires. To eliminate the wiring you can disconnect the wire going to terminal #1 on the rear of the motor unit. One other thing to look at is if the door is closing so far it hits the floor the safety will reverse the door to the open position. This can be an intermittent problem also. You will need to adjust the 'down limit' which is on the side of the motor unit. Turn it a bit in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover.

• excalibur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm guessing its not the aircraft because it never happened for the 4 months before and same with the wiring. All this started happening the first day I bought the new remote. My tenant says sometimes the garage door is only open part of the way. I was wondering if there is a way of clearing the memory in the unit completle and then reprograming it with the new remote only. It only has a yellow learn button and nomatter how long I hold it down the led on the unit doesnt do anything different. I've also tried unpluging the unit for an hour.

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

Normally if you hold that learn button down for 6 seconds it will erase the memory and your remote will not work until you program it. If it doesn't then your logic board is bad and may be the cause of all your problems.