Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomas1975_gw

Bolt, flat washer and sprint washer: what order?

thomas1975
10 years ago

Sorry, I wasn't sure what section to put this question in...

I'm putting together a table and the directions say to put the bold, then flat washer and then spring washer, but the picture seems to show the spring washer in the middle. Is there a 'standard' order that they should go in? Here's what I'm referring to (click to enlarge):

You can see in the picture that the both the description and the picture say to do H1, H3, H4 (which is bolt, flat, spring), but if you look closely at the picture of the table, it seems that the spring washer is really in the middle.

Thanks for any help!

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by thomas1975 on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 13:08

Comments (13)

• hendricus
    10 years ago

Follow the order given 1, 3, 4. If you put the spring washer in between the flat washer and bolt it doesn't do its job which is to keep the bolt from turning back out. The spring washer has to go between the bolt and the leg, the flat washer is only to give the bolt a bigger head.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

The washers are placed beneath the nut, not the bolt head. If the bolt head is too small to securely overlap a too-large bolt hole, you can use a flat washer to obtain a proper seat.
    The order is always the lockwasher directly under the nut.
    Casey

• hendricus
    10 years ago

The washers are placed beneath the nut, not the bolt head.

There is NO nut in the picture or the directions. The directions say to screw it into the chair leg.

• sdello
    10 years ago

I agree. The brick-man is dead on again!

• hendricus
    10 years ago

So, in this instance the manufacturers instructions are to be ignored.

• thomas1975
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everybody!

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"So, in this instance the manufacturers instructions are to be ignored."

Keeping the washer from rotating is not the goal.

Keeping enough tension on the screw to reduce loosening is the idea.

Internal tooth 'star' type lock washers are better at holding things tight, especially in electrical use (though that does not matter here).

What would be much better here are locking screws with either a deformable patch on them (expensive) or the correct grade of thread locking compound Loctite.

Every piece of this type of DIY assembly I have ever seen comes loose without Loctite.

Just do not use the more permanent (AKA 'staking' grades that require heat for disassembly).

And NEVER squeeze the air out of a bottle and then cap it that way.

It is the lack of air that allows the material to set up in the threads.

• homebound
    10 years ago

"So, in this instance the manufacturers instructions are to be ignored."

Yes. The pic was good, but labeled incorrectly.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

And when you tighten the screw drive the split washer flat.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

the instructions seem quite clear; they don't actually give an installation order relying instead on the diagram.

• homebound
    10 years ago

If they hadn't labeled those washers in the diagram, you would be right.

• knightchua
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

As the question asked a long time ago, but I'm gonna give my opinion on it as lately I'm been doing research on this stuff..zzz...

just follow the order given on the picture/diagram above as it is 100% correct ways!

As you might asking why..why..and WHY?!

why not this and why not that

From my research I found out that the spring washer main purpose is to prevent loosening of fasten bolt/screw due to vibration but for this type of spring washer it might damage/scratch the surface of the table, so that's the reason why at the surface of table need to place a plain washer as the plain washer will protect the table and will distribute the force to larger area on the surface of the table.

I hope the one who finding for the answer or correct ways now know it!

Enjoy the day!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia