Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I fix this hole in this door?

Posted by summerc (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 07 at 13:01

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I don't know how it happened. It was there when we moved into the house. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or would I be better off just buying a new one? THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I fix this hole in this door?

Buying a new door will wind up looking better.

o

and more secure!

Michael

o

Patching the door is possible. But afterward, painting the inside surface of the door would be the only way to get a satisfactory appearance.

o

You could buy a new door skin. If you're half way handy with wood its a pretty easy project.

o

This looks like a hollow core door on an exterior entrance?
You need a solid door.

If it is not an exterior door, you still need a solid core door on any door that needs a Lock. It's real easy to kick a hole in a hollow door and break in.

If you decide a hollow core door is ok, they are dirt cheap not worth the trouble of repairing.

o

That hole looks like it goes through both sides of the door. A new door is your best solution.

o

Looks like two bullet holes. But a tight grouping!
Ron

o

Pretty big bullets. Maybe deer slugs.
Actually looks like a couple of hammer smacks.

o

Like everybody said,If this is an exterior door,replace it! You need a solid door on an exterior entrance. That hollow core door is an energy waster and not very secure.

o

DAP makes a good patching compound. Stainable, sandable, paintable, and hard as rock. I did the same thing on my garage door, and some of my trim around my storm doors where the old holes were still visible from an older storm door, and painted over it. Good as new. But, I agree, you'd have to paint the door if you want something pleasing to the eye.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here