Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Brick with green moss

Posted by gaila53 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 12:53

Green moss on outside brick underneath bedroom window. Owner said he would have someone come and waterproof bricks with sealant. Problem is I did not see them remove the moss first and it appears he is putting sealant over the moss. Will this be effective? Thanks for any advice as I have developed some respiratory problems when in the room.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Brick with green moss

Covering the moss is a waste of time and effort. It is easily removed with a water and ammonia solution. No need to seal the brick, if the moss wants to grow, usually in a wet and dark environment it will grow back on the sealed brick. As for your respiratory issues please consult a physician, you won't get any medical answers on a home forum on the internet, and if you do I wouldn't take it.

o

Thank you for the info.

o

You are most welcome, I hope things work out for you and you get your respiratory problem in check.

o

Are you sure that this is moss? Moss needs light to grow. Any green plant needs light to grow. They also need water to grow. Is water pooling on the brick? The real solution needs to be proper drainage first and then, maybe, sealing.

You respiratory problems are probably not caused by anything growing on the outside of the window, but may be related to it. If the windows are not draining properly on the outside, you may be getting water in the walls. That will cause mold to grow which is a more likely cause for indoor air quality issues.

Please, inspect your windows carefully to see that water is draining properly. I think that 10% bleach (from 6% hypochlorite stock) will work better to kill moss than ammonia will.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here