Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foundation crack - how does the water travel??

Posted by ranger481vs (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 12:29

I am investigating a confirmed foundation crack in a finished part of my basement. I've opened the drywall partially an located the crack position, which is in the center of the wall, and runs pretty straight up the wall. Now, after pulling up the carpet, I've found the concrete floor to be wet along just about the entire length of this 23ft wall, about 3ft out from the crack point, and about 1 to 2ft out at the ends of the wall. We had a major storm recently, which dumped tons of water, and of course, my gutter was clogged at time. So, long story, but my question is whether it's normal for a crack in the center of a room to allow water to radiate along the entire length of the wall, and even travel out along corner interior(non-structural) wall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foundation crack - how does the water travel??

"So, long story, but my question is whether it's normal for a crack in the center of a room to allow water to radiate along the entire length of the wall, and even travel out along corner interior(non-structural) wall?"

Water flows by gravity and capillary action.

Carpet can wick water a long way by capillary action.

o
RE: Foundation crack - how does the water travel??

Got it. Thanks Brickeye.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here