Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wallace58_gw

Gutter Brackets and Drip Edge Issue

wallace58
15 years ago

Have a composition roof with metal drip edge. What is the proper way to attach the brackets to the roof when new gutters are installed? Should they be attached over or under the drip edge leg that is attached to the roof?

I have seen a case where the gutter installer pulled the vertical leg out and put the bracket under the other leg of the drip edge which pulls the drip edge away from the facia. Looks like if installed under the drip edge, the vertical leg should be notched to clear the bracket?

Also, my installer removed the old gutters by cutting the bracket, leaving the attached end under the shingle. I am going to insist that these ends be removed before new gutters are installed.

Comments (3)

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

There are a lot of different gutters and installation methods. You need to say what the climate is, material of the gutter (copper, aluminum, wood, etc.) the type of gutter (half round, box), how it is attached to the roof (hung, brackets, etc.) and how the roof eave is designed (exposed rafters, boxed cornice, etc.). It is unusual for a gutter to be close to a drip edge to interact with it so I'm not sure what you are describing.

• wallace58
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The gutter is half round aluminum and is attached with brackets. There are no exposed rafters so I guess the boxed cornice would describe the area next to the gutters.

The brackets holding the gutters are attached to the decking under the shingles and must go over or under an aluminum drip edge which was installed when the roof was replaced. I see no way to avoid contact with the drip edge since is is an angle shape with each leg about 1.5 inches wide. So it is not unusual here - in fact all houses in the neighborhood have the same type roof, drip edge and gutters. In other words, if you tried to avoid contact with the drip edge, the gutter would have to be installed about 2 inches below the edge of the roof and a lot of thewater coming off the roof would probably miss the gutter and it would look strange.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

If you are in snow country the gutter must be installed so it is below the projected plane of the roof. Ice sliding off the roof should miss the gutter but water should not. If you are getting enough water flow to overshoot the gutter you need something a lot larger than the largest half round gutter.

You can suspend the gutter from the roof above with new rods applied over the shingles and sealed with rubberized asphalt cement (or something better?) or you can use face brackets on the vertical eave trim board.

Nothing should be placed between the drip edge and the roof deck unless the gutter is built into the cornice.