Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyinthewoods_gw

Cedar Ceiling and Old Water Stains

ladyinthewoods
10 years ago

Hello! My 1970s ceiling consists of raw cedar planks, medium color, no stain, no poly; 30' at its peak; cedar support beams interspacing the tongue-in-groove planks. Old, dark water stains (thanks, previous owners) with jagged edges and varying lengths and widths are on about 5 percent of the planks, corresponding to exterior roof edges. (There has been NO roof leakage since I've lived here.) Re-planking (with any type of material) is not an option due to cost.

To hide/disguise/eliminate the water stains, I've considered:

1. Stain only the affected planks (a darker tint to match the stains). This would result in a sort of patchwork; the house can handle it (it's large and unique enough) and I would like it, but am not sure about potential buyers.
  2. Eliminate some stains by sanding or bleaching or scrubbing. Several ideas on the web; none of which seem perfect. Not sure if this will result in just another form of unsightliness.
  3. Stain the entire ceiling (again, a darker tint to match the stains). This would be a tremendous undertaking; I'd have to hire in. Would likely be too dark, given its height and width.
  4. Ignore the stains and hoping potential buyers aren't terrified.

What would you do? My indecision is driving me crazy. Thank you in advance.

Comments (3)

• klem1
    10 years ago

If you have the means to work at that height,I would start with a single stain using cedar deck/fence/wood brightener available at any paint or big box store. I wouldn't apply it exactly same as on a deck or fence but instead wet a white cotton cloth with brightner. Wipe the stain then if instructions call for rinse,wipe well with water dampened cloth followed by dry cloth. Let dry for 24 hours and based on result, make the desision wherther to repeat or try something different.. Read carfuly about required eye and skin protection. If the product doesn't require rinse,you might be able to move faster with a spray bottle but be aware that falling mist can discolor carpet and drapes.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    10 years ago

Another possibility might be veneering over the planks with thin T&G closet lining? No? I didn't think so, bit it could work.

• ladyinthewoods
    Original Author
    10 years ago

klem1, thanks. I'm assuming you mean a brightener with oxalic acid. This is a possibility, although it will mean being super careful and outlining each stain with the stuff (so the jagged edges are lightened/brightened, not the "body" of the stain, which remains close to the same tone of the unaffected cedar). You are right, working on a ladder close to 30 feet is not on my bucket list.

cold_weather_is_evil, thank you. I had not thought of t-n-g closet lining. It might make each section stand out a bit too much, not merely "fade away" from an initial glance, but it would certainly smell lovely!