Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chimacalgal

Help--spouse replacing screen door

CJ Mac
10 years ago

I'd like to find an on-line video to help him install a new screen door for our screened patio, but every single video is either for storm doors or for sliding patio doors. Does no one ever replace a plain old screen door on their patio?

Don't want to be disloyal but hubby is not the handiest and it's the possible necessity of his having to cut the frame to fit that worries me.

Comments (8)

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Have faith. probably one of the simplest tasks.

You get what you pay for.

Most doors have the ability to be adjusted both the width and height, 1" comfortably.
    Roll-form is the cheapest and also the flimsiest.
    Extruded is much easier to fit and work with.

• CJ Mac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought you meant my husband with "you get what you pay for."

Have no idea what you're talking about as far as roll-form and extruded.

We didn't buy a cheap door; it's a matter of making the frame fit properly; wish a hacksaw didn't come into the equation at all.

• CJ Mac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Guess I will use Google next time--it's doesn't come with a heavy dose of condescension.

There is a metal frame attached to the wooden door frame of our patio. The old screen door attached to this metal frame. We're taking out the old one but it turns out there isn't a new one included in the door kit--and they told us there would be. Just found out from the manufacturer that this door isn't designed to need a frame.

But you needn't bother your head any further about this: a handy friend will be coming over next week to help.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Ma'am, please be so kind to point out where in your first post, the information in your 3rd post exists.

You could really assist your self by going to the store and view the products available, and ask some questions, of the product you select.

If you have no Idea of the product available, how will you decide which video, if any, will apply?

This post was edited by snoonyb on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 18:32

• CJ Mac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

1. I was asking if anyone knew of a VIDEO. I am perfectly able to recognize if a video is appropriate or not for the application.

2. The information is only in the 3rd post because YOU didn't understand what I meant by a door frame.

3. We DID go to the store to ask questions and see the doors but they didn't have any and it had to be ordered. Staff was not able to answer any questions.

I will not reply to you again and I hope you will go offer your assistance to someone who wants it.

• User
    10 years ago

Bhamster,

You enjoy your weekend with your "handy friend." Kinda wish you had talked to him or her before getting snotty here.

Adios.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Ma'am, the term I use to describe the process of,"DRAGGING", pertinent information from a poster so that a reflective advise van be applied is, "Internet Dentistry."

There is a slim to no chance that any of the 10,000 or so contributors have been to your dwelling.

So, when it took you 3 posts to say,"There is a metal frame attached to the wooden door frame of our patio. The old screen door attached to this metal frame. We're taking out the old one but it turns out there isn't a new one included in the door kit--and they told us there would be. Just found out from the manufacturer that this door isn't designed to need a frame."

Which could have saved a lot of time had it been included in the first post, and as of yet, you have elected to omit and mfg. reference, or the "store" where it was purchased.

So;"There is a metal frame attached to the wooden door frame of our patio"

What you do not say is if this is just the hinge bar from a typical screen door, or if it is a wrought Iron frame from a security screen door.

"Just found out from the manufacturer that this door isn't designed to need a frame."

There are screen doors, both steel and aluminum, that are custom built to fit prescribe openings, and have the hinges welded, but, you, must provide the specific size.

But, since you have elected not to return it, there is probably more omissions.