Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remove glass from double pane sliding doors?

Posted by CB9009 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 11:34

I've found a TON of useful advice on this site so I'm hoping someone out there will have some input on this one b/c I haven't found anything anywhere else...

I have 2 double paned sliding glass doors that I want to get the glass out of. I know they are sealed w/ gas btwn and breaking the seal ruins them, etc. I got 3 single panes of glass and 2 double paned doors from the local restore for cheap. What I need from them is 7 panes of glass (4 from the 2 doors + the 3 singles) to use as glazing for a greenhouse. One of the doors is wood, the other aluminum. I have removed a couple screws but otherwise cannot figure out how to get the frames apart. I have seen some advice on windows but these doors don't match anything I've found and I cannot figure out how to disassemble them and save the glass. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remove glass from double pane sliding doors?

I did that with wood sliders. One pane shattered and I used the other 3 for a shed/greenhouse.
On the wood slider look in the corners for pins (headless nails). Scrape the wood to uncover them then drive them out with a blunt nail or punch. Go slow and pull the frame apart.

o
RE: Remove glass from double pane sliding doors?

the glass should be installed with some glass stops or glazing beads which are removeable and when removed the glass edges should be visible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here