Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outside storage

Posted by bigboy96 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 11:33

I have a storage place outside made of wood boards and the boards are really old and have holes in them we have some stuff in there that we don't want to get messed up. I was wondering if I can use backer board on the outside to cover it and make like a new wall. I live in the San Jose ca area so weather is good the brand of backer board I got is durock.Also do I have to use the thin set on it or can I just put it up

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outside storage

No. Backer board will absorb water and disintegrate.

Use siding.

o

you can use T1-11
or a hardi sheathing. both come in
4'x8' sheets.
I'm getting the hardi sheathing
because I like it better and T1-11
prices are more than hardi here...
who knew?
make sure you prime and paint
including all the cuts you make.

best of luck

o

I got the durock cement board the 1/4 . I had thought this board was made for water. So how about putting it on the inside of the shied. I am going to try and upload a photo of what I am talking about .

o

You can buy 4x8 sheets of exterior plywood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here