Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snaillover_gw

Cracks where wall meets ceiling

I acquired these when I bought this house. It was inspected and I was told it wasn't a major problem. They're mostly upstairs and I swear they've gotten worse over the winter. What is the best way to deal with them? Drywall spackle, moulding?

Comments (8)

• SnailLover (MI - zone 5a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks handymac, I'm sure that's what it is. The attic opening is just above that photo. I agree that molding would be the best solution. I'll take a look up there to be sure there's no water problems. I had a lot of snow on my roof this winter (still do!)

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

before you just cover the crack, caulk the crack.
    just covering the gap with molding will allow hot
    attic air to enter behind the moldings & leak into
    living space.
    use a good caulk with a long life.

best of luck.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

"use a good caulk with a long life."

I would think that the caulk should be of the type that remains flexible as there is no way to know that the crack is done opening.

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

my prefrence is Dap's brand Alex 25-35 year life.
    this is the $4 tube of caulk as opposed to the 15 year caulk fr $2.
    this brand has served me well ...since I learned to
    caulk well..about 15 years. all caulk has survived the
    expansion & contraction of my hot humid climate.
    I also find that the clear caulk is much more flexible
    than the white caulk..seems the white dries out faster..
    or maybe it was faulty tubes..who knows.

prior to caulking I"d take a razor knife & clean up the
    area to be caulked so surfaces are clean & straight.

too tired last nite to expand on my short post.

• SnailLover (MI - zone 5a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The advice has been very helpful. Thanks so much!

I'll be back soon with other repair questions :)

• daveho
    9 years ago

I have the same problem on my second floor. Cracks show up in the winter, & mostly close up over the summer. In my case it is caused by the ceiling drywall not being secured tightly to the bottom chord of the roof trusses along the edge. Cheapskate builder's drywall crew used roofing nails to tack up the perimeter & didn't get it tight everywhere. Unfortunately in my case screwing the drywall causes the corner tape joint to completely pull apart. So as I've redone rooms I've gone up in the attic, shimmed the drywall tight to the roof trusses, then re-screwed the ceiling along the perimeter. In rooms where I've done that, the cracks have not reappeared.

• Ash Stu
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hello is this in the inner walls/ceiling joints of your home or the outer? We have them the entire length of the home, inner ceiling/walls joints. It's horrible. I was told that it could be a foundation issue. I don't know what to do. Could you advise what you did and what it looks like now?