Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how would you insulate a roof jack?

Posted by art_s (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 10:53

Hi all,
This past winter I seem to have had an incursion of water through a roof jack that connects to my range hood via an 8" duct. Since we were not in the house all winter (summer home) I don't know if it was condensation from the cold on the escaping heat or if it was just snow/rain coming through the flap. This is the first time that this has happened in the three winters we have had the house. The result of the water incursion was some warped wood floof boards.

So my questions are: 1) Can the roof jack be insulated to prevent heat loss and condensation? If so, how can it be done? 2) What if anything else should I do to keep the winter weather out of the roof jack but still be able to use the vent hood (now that we live here year round)?

Thanks,

Art S

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how would you insulate a roof jack?

you don't insulate roof jacks.
look elsewhere for the problem.
does roof jack leak?
does it need replacement?
is there a damper installed in the stove vent?
is there a large gap around the stove vent where it
enters the attic?

best of luck.

o

When insulating any roof, you need an air space of at least two inches between the underside of the roof sheathing and the top of insulation. Proper vents can be stapled to the roof sheathing to create an uninterrupted airflow. The soffit and ridge should also have venting. Install a good vapor barrier under the insulation.

o

You should figure out what the actual problem is.

If it is an actual leak the insulation is not going to do anything, the same with incorrect flashing.

If you have a damper not working repair it.

o

Note that this is advice for cold-dry climates:

"When insulating any roof, you need an air space of at least two inches between the underside of the roof sheathing and the top of insulation. Proper vents can be stapled to the roof sheathing to create an uninterrupted airflow. The soffit and ridge should also have venting. Install a good vapor barrier under the insulation."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here