Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strange exterior wall

Posted by phrog (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 10:43

Over the years, we have addressed the quirky choices the original owner/builders of our home made in the early 80s. But one or two remain.

The exterior wall on one side ended at the ground with what you see in the photo -- rigid foam with a skim coat of concrete or stucco over the foil covering. In time, mice bit through the foam in some places and it cracked in others.

A carpenter never finished the job he started, which included putting up white PVC board against the old exterior surface. And I never got to see what he actually did to make it work.

I'd like to buy a board and attach it, as there's only an 8 ft. by 10 inch section that needs work, but my questions are:

1. Do I need to build up all the voids, and if so should I use concrete patch or stucco patch, or something else?
2. If I use the patch, is that enough to also hold the board, or should I put an adhesive between the concrete and the board?

I don't really want to remove all of the old foam and concrete if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strange exterior wall

I don't like this ground contact detail at all. Parging over fluff just doesn't seem right. Look up some proper ground contact details and go from there.

o
RE: strange exterior wall

Kind of unusual to say the least. I would consider installing James Hardi Board useing thin set between the existing surface and Hardi Board. You could apply paint or material that matches rest of foundation.
Another aproach would be to attach metal lath and coat it with any portland base material you like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here