Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gutter repair

Posted by calory (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 10:25

The gutter on my house is coming loose; the "nails" are working out. My question : can I purchase fatter "nails" to solve the problem, or, any help would be appreciated.

Calory

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gutter repair

Gutters are fastened to fascias. Fascias are usually the wooden boards that are fastened to the rafter ends.

If the guttering nails are loosening, it is likely the cause is the fascia boards are rotting.

The best fix is to remove the guttering, replace the fascia and reinstall the guttering---dealing with any incorrect installation areas that might have accelerated the fascia rot.

o

The spikes often start to work out long before the fascia has rotted.
They are actually intended to be aligned with the rafter tails, and nit just the fascia.

You can try and replace the nails with screw in gutter spikes.

The screw threads are less likely to walk out under the repeated shrinking and swelling of the fascia wood.

The big box stores have them sometimes, and McFeelys has nice square drive ones that are not as conspicuous as hex head fasteners.
The square drive recess is barely visible from the ground on one story houses, and cannot be seen on two story houses.

o

Find a commercial Rain Gutter Supplier in your area.
Here is a link to whats available;http://www.guttersupply.com/p-kstyle-hangers.gstml

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here