Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Order when installing Roof, Siding & Windows

Posted by cindyinct (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 10:22

I would like to replace my roof shingles (tear out 2 layers of shingles and replace), but I am also interested in siding and windows. When I do the siding, I am going to have the old cedar shakes removed first. Is there a problem with doing the roof before the siding? My house is a split level, so the lower half of the roof butts up against the siding on the upper half.

Is there a rule of thumb when installing a roof and siding at the same time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Order when installing Roof, Siding & Windows

The better way to do it I think is to do the roof, then do the siding/windows together. Mainly the ladders to get on the roof, debris etc could damage the new siding and windows, while the new siding and windows shouldn't damage the roof.

a good roofer should be able to do a roof without collateral damage, however, if you're doing all of it, I'd do the roof first, but I'm no expert.

o

chrisk's suggestion sounds reasonable to me.

Q.) what kind of siding are you doing? If your using vinyl, then why do you want to remove the existing cedar shakes. That's a lot of extra work unless there's a good reason for it.

o

I was told that removing the existing shingles is a good idea (they were put on when the house was build in 1958), and are in bad shape (at least on 2 sides). Most of the contractors I've spoken to have suggested it. Also, if I don't, I was told that the windows would look sunk in if that makes sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here