Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drywall Ceiling Repair

Posted by try2diy (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 9:27

A piece of ceiling drywall has started to separate in the garage. Upon closer inspection there are 2 problems. First it looks like nails were used to hang ceiling, some have popped out, others loosening. The other problem is the edge that has actually separated and is hanging down (a couple of inches gap) doesn't really even hit the joist - I don't know how or if any of the nails even hit the joist in the first place. The adjacent piece of drywall is almost flush with the edge where I should re-attach the sagging piece. I see others starting to sag in similar way

I plan to use screws next to all the existing nails/ nail holes on all sides and middle supports but there it will not be possible to put screws on that one edge unless I somehow angle them. The ceiling is just roughly finished so "looks" isn't a problem - I just want to get the ceiling re-fastened in the most secure way - any suggestions? (there is no moisture damage, etc. - it appears drywall is falling only because of how it was originally hung)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drywall Ceiling Repair

If you have accessible attic space above, you can get up in there and install a backer to give you something to screw to. Other than that, you could cut the drywall back to the nearest joist and install a new section putting backers where needed after that section of drywall is removed. Angling screws isn't going to work.

o
RE: Drywall Ceiling Repair

Yes, just go up in the attic and screw a 2x2 onto the side of the existing ceiling joist. Then screw the drywall to that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here