Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brick hearth removal

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 9:19

I have a poorly built, built-in corner gas fireplace in my family room. It has a one level brick hearth. I want to remove the fireplace and hearth and get the corner of my room back. The more I read, the more I think I can do some of the demolition myself.

My question right now is about how to remove the bricks once I have the fireplace out. The room is built on a slab and the rest of the floor is ceramic tile. How do I go about getting the bricks out? Would some basic tools, like a chisel and hammer, work?

Are the bricks likely to have been glued to the slab?

Here is a picture. Please overlook the dead bug and dust bunnies. As you can see, I have sealed the opening of the fireplace to stop the air flow into the house. I turned off the gas both inside and outside.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brick hearth removal

The wall appears to be built over the top of the bricks. Pull off the base moulding and you'll be able to see better.

Bricks are set in mortar. You can break them with a hammer and cold chisel. You'll break some tiles too, but I assume you'll want to remove the cut tiles and place in whole tiles to complete the field.

The corner of your room was probably closed in by the wall to create a chase for the chimney flue. You may want to remove that wall entirely, as it appears the brick runs underneath it clear to the corner of the house.

o

Thanks. Yes, my plan is to remove the wall. That's the easy part.

Hammer and a cold chisel for the bricks. That sounds do-able.

o

graywings:

Don't forget your sledge hammer and safety glasses.

o

Yep, safety glasses and ear protectors, for sure. So a sledge hammer is better than a framing hammer for striking the cold chisel?

o

" So a sledge hammer is better than a framing hammer for striking the cold chisel?

Yes. I recommend a mini sledge hammer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here