Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing vinyl soffit help

Posted by obrionusa (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 8:14

I installed a lot of aluminum soffit over the years. Now Im tackling the girlfriends house and thinking of using vinyl soffit. I installed a lot of vinyl siding before but never vinyl soffit. I always used vinyl cutting sissors to cut the vinyl and liked it versus a saw. I was thiniing it should cut the soffit too. I have a pair of malco andy mc14 sissors. Whats your thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing vinyl soffit help

I've used tin snips, a specialized tool that resembled a paper cutter, and a circular saw with the blade installed backwards to cut vinyl siding and soffit.

The saw was the fastest.

Having never heard of those shears, I researched them. Might work. Since you already have them, trying them would just be set up.

o

If you've got a sliding compound miter saw set up anywhere, that's the best choice. It's an easier cut than with a circular saw and produces a true 90 every time. If you don't own one, it's probably not worth it to buy one just for that, but to me it's worth it for a lot of other projects down the road. It's one of the most often used tools at my house. Set it up on the scaffolding and you'll spend more time moving the scaffolding than you will cutting and installing the soffit.

o

Thanks for all your help. But Im going to try to use these sissors because the girlfriend wouldnt be as nervous about using it. If I get her started maybe she would finish it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here