Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crack repair, CBS wall, above-grade: epoxy or fiber-caulk?

Posted by fixizin (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 7:58

Got a classic So-Fla "hurricane bunker", CBS on sandy soil... seems to have settled a wee bit over the decades, resulting in cracked walls. Cracks are long, but narrow, 1/8" or less.

Local outfit called Acrylux sells a whole line of WATERPROOFING caulks, primers, and paints, designed for stucco and the sub-tropics. Their "FIB" caulk is some tough stuff, high fiber content, and well-regarded by local contractors. Only problem is it's a "butter grade" caulk, i.e. comes in a TUB, not a tubE, so you have to putty knife it in the whole length of the crack... could get a bit tedious on a 25' long crack.

Another readily available option is an epoxy product called "PC Concrete", dispensed from a std. caulking gun, and mixed on the fly via a special nozzle w/ swirl chamber. Seems this would be easier to apply when filling LONG cracks, and the putty knife work would be just a length-wise swipe, instead of endless side-by-side strokes.

Some "experts" say epoxies are not flexible enough for this app, others say it is... hmmm... don't really need the strength of epoxy, just the longevity and water-tightness.

SO... what's your real-world experience with either/both/other-altogether crack repair methods in CBS (or poured concrete) walls?

Thanks in advance, the game is RIGged, the Fix... Izz... IN! ;')

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Hello, anyone...?

My DIY sonar is on, but I hear nothing... lol.

o
Load yer own caulk?? ;')

Guess this would be a good excuse to buy a bulk-loading caulk gun... Albion brand??

o
Done gone 'n figgered it out... ;')

NOPE... no gun, turns out you BRUSH this "FIB" caulk on--NICE! I did 3 coats for each crack run, each "stripe" wider than the prior one. Feathered it out real nice.

Hope the follow-on elastomeric sealer/primer plus paint covers the "stripes"... hope it stops raining before October, LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here