Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martin_ferdinand

Need a professional locksmith service!

martin-ferdinand
10 years ago

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered is that I have been having a lot of experience with people breaking into my house and now I am considering changing all the locks maybe install some on my windows as well

Anyways, I need someone to suggest a good professional service in London. Please, just comment if you had actual experience with this because I really need to figure this out. Will probably need a professional for my alarm system as well.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Thanks

Comments (9)

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

Dear Sir,

This forum is predominantly a US and Canadian forum. When I saw London I was thinking London Ontario Canada. I see you are in the UK. You will need to google locksmiths in the London England area. No one will be able to help you here I believe unfortunately as not many live in England. Ask for references.

Best of luck.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Would changing the locks help? Do strangers have keys?

I would call a local real estate professional and ask for their recommendations. They always have references and are happy to share so you will use them when it's time to sell.

A dowel stuck in a window or sliding door track will help with window entries.

A home security system sticker will deter most burglars.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Given that self-defense in the UK is usually a crime and harming the criminals will get you in big legal trouble, the property crime rate there is many times that of the USA. No castle doctrine laws in the UK.
    Just make it easier for them to break in elsewhere by getting stronger doors and locks.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

"This forum is predominantly a US and Canadian forum."

Says who? Why are you trying to limit what other people can do?

"No one will be able to help you here "

Then don't answer if all you're going to say is you're not going to help.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

bus_driver-
    The property crime rate in the U.K. is not many times that of the U.S. I did a little Googling and found that, in regard to burglary, the rate in Britain and Wales is about 2% of households per year, while the rate in the U.S., according to FBI statistics, is about 2.1% of households...so the rates are essentially the same.

In researching this, I did find that some social media sites claim that violent crimes in the UK are several times higher than in the U.S....but that also falls apart when you look at what is being counted and the fact that the two countries use very different definitions. The UK has a very inclusive definition that counts a lot of things as violent crime that would never be counted here.

I just don't think one can generalize and say that because we have, for example, more guns and "Stand Your Ground" laws that that makes the U.S. a safer country. I do know that when I travel in Europe and the UK I generally feel safer than when I am home in the U.S. Maybe that's because if I get robbed while abroad it's far less likely that someone will be pointing a gun at me, and also that I am unlikely to have someone shooting at me because they were offended by my driving.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

This seems to be a credible source.
    Some places suggest that a UK homeowner using a baseball bat to repel burglars would be in big trouble.

Here is a link that might be useful: UK newspaper

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

bus_driver-
    Interesting. I got my numbers from reports issued for 2012 by the FBI and an equivalent national UK agency. My numbers were given as burglaries per household, rather than per capita, but one would think that this wouldn't make a big difference. Since your numbers were from 2006 data, maybe things have improved in the UK more than in the U.S. Anyway, I'm not trying to pick a statistical fight; I just think -- based on the little bit I've looked into this -- that the current rates for burglary are probably not hugely different for the U.S. and the U.K. at this time. But, when considering statistics, it helps to keep in mind what Mark Twain said: "There are liars, damned liars, and statisticians."

• PRO
    Brown Safe Manufacturing, Inc.
    9 years ago

A little late, but here is the contact information for a locksmith in London, licensed, bonded, and insured.

Independent Safes Ltd

5 Hatton Garden

London

EC1N8AA

020 7405 1540

• bgeery
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Also look at installing security cameras. Check you local laws. Getting them caught and convicted helps everyone in your neighborhood long-term.