Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank1203

Blacktop Confusion

frank1203
15 years ago

Hello - I am in the process of getting estimates to repair/re-blacktop my driveway and I'm getting various opinions on what the contractor would do to repair the driveway. The differences as to how they are approaching the job is creating major disparities in price.

The driveway is about 15 years old and has a good amount of "cracks or spiderwebbing" as well as depressed areas (especially where the cars are parked).

To repair the problems - I have gotten the follwing opinion and estimates in order of price:

(1)Simply Re-blacktop over the existing blacktop (cheapest price)

(2) cut out the spiderwebbed and depressed areas with a saw, compress and reblacktop the fixed area and then reblacktop the entire driveway (next higher price)

(3) cut out the spiderwebbed and depressed areas with a saw, cover the those areas with fabric to avoid cracks from returning; compress and reblacktop the fixed area and then reblacktop the entire driveway (a bit higher price)

(4) cut out the spiderwebbed and depressed areas with a saw, add stone to the area; compact and reblacktop the fixed area and then reblacktop the entire driveway (next highest price)

(5) Cut out entire driveway ; restone and reblacktop (highest).

So what are your opinions. I don't want to watste moneybut still get a quality job. Thanks.

Comments (9)

• hendricus
    15 years ago

I would go with 1 or 5. The settling indicates a base that has sunk, poor preparation. Having sunk, if you park in the same places it should not sink anymore.

2,3 and 4 don't make a lot of sense because the blacktop itself will make a good base and adding a little more where it sunk is no big deal.

• joed
    15 years ago

The areas that are sunk indicate the base was not proper under the current drive.
    If you go over top of the existing drive you will have the same cracks showing through within a year.

The only proper way to fix it is to remove the exisitng and put in a proper compacted base and new asphalt, at least 3 inches.

• live_wire_oak
    15 years ago

#5 is the only way to do the job right and get good permanant results. Everything else is just a bad bandaid to the real problems---which is improper base preparation.

• frank1203
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now you see my problem.. Three different posters and three different opinions..

• joed
    15 years ago

How do you see 3 different opinions. 2 of us recommended #5( new base and new top) and the first one had # 5 as one of the options.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

i agree with #5 as well.

also, NEVER take a bid from someone who just drove by and saw your drive or who "is workign a job in the area and has extra material" these are usually scams. by usually i mean 99.9999999999999% of the time.

• frank1203
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think they are different opinions. Here's why. No one would argue that No. 5 is the best solution, but also by far and away the most costly (at least double if not triple the price which I cannot afford). So - the first poster also describes No. 1 as a choice which is just to reblacktop; and what I read into the the second poster's answer was to remove only the depressed or broken parts and then recompact and re-stone those areas (as opposed to the entire driveway).

I realize No. 5 is the right answer - but money is an object! So, going back to the final sentence of my post it says - I don't want to waste money but still get a quality job.

With that said - taking No (5) out of the equation - what choice would you pick The estimate for No (1 and 2) ranged from $2,000-$2,700. The estimate for no. 3 was about $2,800; The estimate for no. 4 was about $4,700 and the estimate for No. 5 was $9,000. Thanks.

• live_wire_oak
    14 years ago

#5 is the only way you won't be throwing good money after a bad job. Half assing it doesn't fix it, it just puts a bandaid on it and lets the cancer continue to creep and destroy. If you can't afford to do #5 right now, then save your money until you are able to do it. Otherwise, you'll just end up having to do it later when all of your current problems come back. Without replacing the foundation, they WILL come back, and it'll be even more $$ to fix it right then.

• hendricus
    14 years ago

Just do like the Road Commission does, fix the cracks and repave. If the drive is solid, no loose chunks, thats what they do.