Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! DIY kitchen island gone awry!

Posted by audrey_maui (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 5:11

Bought old cabinets from CL - refinished them and then bought a small slab of granite, tile, and wood trim to creat a countertop. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to use quikset properly to affix the granite and so the granite is now not level and the tile and trim now are not going to be at the same height as the granite. I presume I can pump up the quikset to lay the tile at the same off height as my granite, but how do I beef up the approx. 3/8 inch I am off for my wood trim (at the sides of my tile in the picture). Any suggestions are very welcome - please see photo for my odd design and DYI dilemma!

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Kitchen Island Problem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! DIY kitchen island gone awry!

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz138/boogiepuff/100_5358.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Island Lg view

o
RE: Help! DIY kitchen island gone awry!

The granite didn't need quikcrete, you just put a few dabs of silicone caulk under it to keep it in place.
To raise the tile to the correct level you might add a layer of cement board.
The job should have been planned in total before you started. You need to know what you're going to do before you lay anything or you end up as you are now.
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here